Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I have yet another question.  This issue stared today and don't know how to tackle it.  I have a 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Premium that I purchased used.  Every time I move the steering wheel either left or right it make a horrible noise and I'm afraid it may be something serious.  I replaced the fluid and bled the system turning the steering wheel end-to-end and also used a vacuum pump to remove any remaining air but that did not help.  Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  Please watch the video to have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Probably just need to tighten the belt. 

If the problem is a slipping belt, replace it.

How do you know if the belt is slipping?  I replaced the tensioner and idler pulley with aftermarket parts and don't know if that has anything to do with the noise but the slipping belt did cross my mind I just don't know how to determine if that's the issue.  Thank you.

I didn't see a  link to a video in your post so I don't know what your sound is like.

If its a squealing sound then it's the belt. If it's a lower pitched grinding noise then it is probably air getting into the system from a bad o ring connection in one of the lines, a bad seal between the reservoir and the pump, or a leak from one of the rubber hoses that joins the sections of hard lines. The lower pressure line has a clamp fitting which can go bad but be fixed with a good hose clamp.

Are you getting any leaks anywhere? Are the boots of the steering rack torn?

Power steering pumps can go bad but that is pretty rare. I just dissassembled one and there isn't too much that can go wrong on them mechanically unless they are run on a low amount of fluid.

Have you tried going lock to lock with the power steering reservoir cap of to further bleed air out of the system?

I wouldn't get too worried. Even if it is a blown steering rack it's not too bad of a job to replace it.

Edited by monkeyposeur
  • Like 1