Ultimate Subaru Message Board

squeaky noise at low speed going straight

I have a squeaky noise at low or no speed (sometimes can make happen rocking car side to side) Mostly going straight and not actually turning. Sounds like it comes from the front. No sound when at road speed or higher.  More often when outside temp is hot and driving up a slight incline driveway or into garage.  braking doesn't seem to stop or change sound. Maybe wheel bearing but not traditional grinding or rollling sound common to bad bearing. This is a 2006 Baja with 111,000 miles and recent timing belt and head gasket repair. Has recently had new tires at the time the noise was just once in a while.before and after tires.

Don't see how to reply to specific reply post.  

Since noise doesn't always occur and usually not when with someone, haven't had a chance to have someone try and pace my car. It seems to by in "sync" with tire rotation but only at slow speeds and when returning home after driving (more often when weather is hot. less when cooler.). 

Rocking squeak is when car is in neutral and I think the wheels move a small amount. No noise on rocking after car cools down from driving. Get squeak when slowly driving down local street after driving and in driveway and entering garage. Sometimes car cause squeak by rocking car right after entering level garage and in neutral (have raised parking pad for wheel and leave car in neutral and brake off.) No squeak after car "cools down" or next day. either rocking or driving. 

.could be 2 different problems...on the noise going straight, sometimes there can be debris caught between back/inner side of the rotor and the brake shield. Could be a symptom of a wheel bearing going bad. Getting the car up on jacks and lifting/rocking each wheel in the up/down - 12 oclock to 6 oclock would be good. They shouldn't move. Listening to them with a mechanic's stethoscope while turning would be good to try too.

checking the calipers for free sliding movement wold be a good idea. maybe they are binding.

double check lug nuts - some recent posts about loose lugnuts or improper size lugnuts causing problems.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

.could be 2 different problems...on the noise going straight, sometimes there can be debris caught between back/inner side of the rotor and the brake shield. Could be a symptom of a wheel bearing going bad. Getting the car up on jacks and lifting/rocking each wheel in the up/down - 12 oclock to 6 oclock would be good. They shouldn't move. Listening to them with a mechanic's stethoscope while turning would be good to try too.

checking the calipers for free sliding movement wold be a good idea. maybe they are binding.

double check lug nuts - some recent posts about loose lugnuts or improper size lugnuts causing problems.

I live in an area where they oil the roads and spread gravel to resurface the asphalt.

Not sure if it works but twice i had a piece of gravel caught between the shield and rotor and it squealed like a banshee. 

Thanks, everyone. I will try all suggestions but some I have already tried. Seems to start while going striaight, turning or braking doesn't change sound.  I am thinking it is an early sign of a axle bearing.  Had full service oil change by dealer as I had as I had timing belt and the common leaking head gaskets replaced earlier. They said everything else looked good ( axle boots and suspension). Recently got new tires although old one had even wear but were getting "old".  They also said everything looks ok.  Actually didn't have the noise after driving home yesterday from work, but didn't use the usual freeway ( short distance, on ramp to next exit.) but drove surface streets home. No noise where when I drove down street by home (20-25mph) or in driveway or garage. These are where I get the squeaky sound.