Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is a friends car but i was told the timing belt broke at highway speeds. Im assuming the intake values are bent. Is there a way to check them before pulling everything apart? About how much should this cost to fix? Rebuild the heads, or replace the heads? Im in California.

nicksubaru,

Pull the timing belt covers and rotate the cam wheels to close the valves on each cylinder one at a time, pull the spark plugs and pump each cylinder full of air, to see if the valves will hold the pressure or if it quickly leaks off? Scope each cylinder to see if pistons are damaged or show valve strike damage?

I would think you'd really have to pull the heads to know for sure what damage has been done, and if its worth while rebuilding. Maybe a used JDM engine makes more sense, as many of them have less than 35 000 miles on them. Good Luck!

I would try to put a new belt on it and see how it runs then do a comprestion test i had a cam shaft snap off at the pully and when i tore it down the valves were all good so theres a chance there good still if not valves are cheap from the dealer and only replace whats bent its also a good.exscuse to have some fun with the internals while its all apart

1. Check it first.  It is possible to break a belt and not bend any valves, it's just not very common, I saw and fixed one that got lucky a few years ago.  I'm seeing that lucky friend later today.  

2. Install used heads.  Cheap, simple and quick.  www.car-part.com or ask on a forum for used heads.   Cost is roughly $75 - $300 for two heads. 

3.  Rebuild existing heads.  $600-$900 to replace valves, prep valves and seat, valve stem seals, resurface, and pressure test.  Stop by your local dealer and ask around the parts or tech department to find out what local place does their heads.  that's a good starting point if you're otherwise unfamiliar with local machine shops.  The service advisor or people that answer the phones often don't know so that's why i say stop in and ask around.  Not everyone there may know. 

I'd imagine there are online options too and well known subaru networks/shops that may ship. 

If it has the 2.2, ..

2.2's are interference starting in 1997.  but doesn't matter, the last year for the 2.2 was a 01 and that wouldn't be easily swapped into a 2006.

• 3 weeks later...

I would go to edmunds (used car appraisal) and price it up like it is in running condition and in the condition average, good etc that it is in.  Then subtract the repair.   Scrap is a couple hundred.  

That's a fair way to offer a reasonable price.  Way more that you would get from a dealer on a trade in (maybe $500)