Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

how to adjust rear struts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 20 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

While I was stripping my 1986 GL 3-door (EA82), I noticed that the spring landings for the rear springs were height adjustable. I vice gripped the spring up and hammered on the landing and used penetrating oil to get it to move upward, but nothing happened. Am I missing something? Is there a specific tool to adjust them?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:00 PM

You have to remove the strut to adjust it. There's no tool. I adjusted mine with my bare hands when I installed them in my wagon.

GD

#3 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:22 PM

You are supposed to use a compressor to get the higher settings. If you were able to move them and they didn't hold they may have expanded. The only fix I know of for that is to use hose clamps to hold the adjustment sleeve in place.

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 20 June 2004 - 06:07 PM

Thanks. It seems like they should have had a better design, so you could adjust the settings in a parking lot.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 June 2004 - 06:10 PM

That's what air suspension is for.

GD

#6 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,515 posts
  • USA

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:06 PM

You have to remove the strut to adjust it. There's no tool. I adjusted mine with my bare hands when I installed them in my wagon.

GD

I heard that, GD. I used to carry a knife...till I learned I could kill a man with my bare hands;)

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:36 PM

I actually took the struts completely apart now that I am thinking about it - that relieved the pressure of course. I didn't use a spring compressor to take them apart or put them together. I am not sure, but I may have had a friend press down on the cap while I started the nut. At any rate, I set them to the lowest setting possible, so you may actually need a compressor if you want to use the highest setting..... I wanted them spongy, and they went into my lifted EA81 wagon, so stiff was bad for my application.

As for killing people - I prefer an aluminium bat - makes such a nice sound when it connects with skull....

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users