Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2012 Outback - auto trans external filter

I just serviced our '12 Outback, doing the incremental transmission fluid change procedure.  I was expecting an external screw-on filter, most likely toward the battery. When buying parts at Subaru, the guy did not see that, and made a phone call which confirmed it. The only filter they show is a $1000 device in the transmission case, which I did not purchase.

Does this seem correct to everyone here ? I did a brief inspection, and followed the lines from the radiator to the tranny, and did not see a filter along the way.

Thanks,

Craig

Newer stuff doesn't have an external filter.

There's a screen/strainer inside the pan that is 100% pointless to replace.  They never need replacing at 10 years and 150,000 miles, it's almost comical to consider replacing them any time before that. 

1997 and earlier - no external filter and Subaru's had decades of reliable service with no issues and the 4EAT was blowing away the ideas that "AT's aren't reliable"

1998-2000'sish - added an external filter which was considered lifetime and never needed service

They went away from external filters with the CVT or newer vehicles.

External filters add additional failure modes - more clamps (typical failure points) and greater proclivity to damage during minor fender bender due to proximity to the front fender.  None of those alone are big deals at all, very minor points, but considering 4EAT's were rolling 100's of thousands of miles without them with few issues, it's unneccessary.

• Like 2