Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual range swap issues

So I did the dual range swap months ago in my 93 loyale. Forever with this trans has second gear been slightly to the right when you shift. As of yesterday I finally put the entire console in instead of just screwing the cover to my tunnel. Now every upward gear, 1-3-5, don't feel like they are going in full, like they're hitting the console. I'm not sure if my shift linkage is bent or what but 5th especially will pop my shift cover off and you have to make sure it's in gear or it will just pop out. Is this normal or is something bent or what? I'm going back to the junkyard tomorrow anyways so I'm going to get an entire set of shift linkage just incase from the same car I got the console.

I had the exact same issue when I put the 5spd D/R in my ea81 Brat. Different car but same problem, It wouldn't go into those gears once the console was on. I shortened all my linkages about 20mm and not its perfect. I wouldn't think you'd have the same issue with a 93' loyale, but I bet the linkages are just a bit too long.

The pictures i took were on a old device i had the exsact same issue with my duel range swap i figured out tbe adjustment because i had the sh8fters out of the car trying to figue it out i hit the assembalie with a whire wheel and wow theres the adjustments if you lay under.the car pretend the drive shaft and exhaust is out of the way look up a5 the shifter there are 2 bumps under it thoses 2 bumps are nuts under the under coating loosten them up move the shifter tighten them back down there are 2 plates for the shift mechinism one plate is conect3d to the shifter it self the other mounts 2 the body change the o4ientation of the 2 plates and you change your adjustment and YES i am high thank you very much but i still know how to adjust a.shifter

The pictures i took were on a old device i had the exsact same issue with my duel range swap i figured out tbe adjustment because i had the sh8fters out of the car trying to figue it out i hit the assembalie with a whire wheel and wow theres the adjustments if you lay under.the car pretend the drive shaft and exhaust is out of the way look up a5 the shifter there are 2 bumps under it thoses 2 bumps are nuts under the under coating loosten them up move the shifter tighten them back down there are 2 plates for the shift mechinism one plate is conect3d to the shifter it self the other mounts 2 the body change the o4ientation of the 2 plates and you change your adjustment and YES i am high thank you very much but i still know how to adjust a.shifter

Lol I'm headed to the junkyard now I'll grab the spare set just incase and I'll check for adjustments when I get home.

So I put the single range shifter in because I want the button for my light bar, it actually shifts into gear fine now which is strange. But you can definitely see something is crooked. It is angled towards the driver side as if the whole linkage assembly is turned or bent but it doesn't look bent wrong. You can see in the second picture how turned the shift knob is when it's correctly on the shifter (holes line up for the pin)

So I put the single range shifter in because I want the button for my light bar, it actually shifts into gear fine now which is strange. But you can definitely see something is crooked. It is angled towards the driver side as if the whole linkage assembly is turned or bent but it doesn't look bent wrong. You can see in the second picture how turned the shift knob is when it's correctly on the shifter (holes line up for the pin)

post-65130-0-20564400-1505081314_thumb.jpg

post-65130-0-60659200-1505081391_thumb.jpg

You can see where this one hit other linkage turns out you can't see it while it's on the car and I must have missed it before but it's got 2 kinks in it. Also I put my single range one in and it works fine??? I thought all the linkage had to be dual range?

that shift linkage is bent.  perhaps the stay rod is bent too?

the 5spd shift portion is swappable S/R vs. D/R it's just the hi/lo 4wd lever thats different

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1

You can fix that.by using the adjusters you can see in your picture there are 2 plates one conected to the shifter and one to the body and there bolted together you can see the top of the studs in the pics the holes are biger in the plate that mounts to the body it can go any direction about a 1/2" just loosten the 2 bolts and give it a twist tighten it back up

Edited by ferp420