Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have recently got a 2.0 non turbo scooby and its idling a bit rough ( this started at the weekend) so i have changed spark plugs, coil pack, air filter and fuel filter still idling a bit rough any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated as its my first scooby and dont want to get rid if its an easy fix thanks in advance

Clearly can't promise anything but usually this is a simple issue: 

1.  read the OBD (check engine) codes and post them here. 

2.  replace the spark plug wires (they should be Subaru, NGK, Magnecor or so other high quality product)

3.  clean the idle controller (there's a few different styles but generally you just remove it and blow it out with carb or brake cleaner really good). 

4.  swap in a used idle controller

5.  check the timing components - make sure alignment marks are proper and the belt isn't compromised (failing pulley or tensioner)

6.  describe the symptoms better: 
what is it doing at idle - describe it exactly since we're not there.  no stories - just details.

what is it doing while driving - does it drive fine? 

is gas mileage reasonably normal?

2.  replace the spark plug wires (they should be Subaru, NGK, Magnecor or so other high quality product)

3.  clean the idle controller (there's a few different styles but generally you just remove it and blow it out with carb or brake cleaner really good). 

5.  check the timing components - make sure alignment marks are proper and the belt isn't compromised (failing pulley or tensioner)

what is it doing at idle - describe it exactly since we're not there.  no stories - just details.

ok will try this thanks but could you tell me where the idle controller is plz

the car drives fine for a short time then starts holding back and then fine again mileage is only 84k miles which i thought was pretty ok for a 17 yr old car