Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird coolant leak.

coolant1.8 gl ea82

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 privateer56

privateer56

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • New York - Hudson Valley

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

I have a 1987 GL Coupe that I just picked up.  It is running 'ok', some hesitation and a little surging.  Did a basic tune up and oil and coolant (the shop had put in two quarts of oil too much and I drained it, some had dripped on the cat I think from the rear seal but stopped).  Been driving it for about 2 weeks to work it out and yesterday I checked the coolant and it was down a quart and the reservoir was empty.  I had put a can of conditioner in it after the change so I just filled it up and have taken about 4 trips around town to work and back and I'm getting a coolant smell every once in a while and just a wisp of steam from under the carb between the spare and the air cleaner.  There as a tiny pool pf coolant on top of the block, maybe 1 tablespoon.  It has a 1.8 OHC with 100k on it and otherwise seems ok.  What should I be checking?  Where might this be coming from? I've not seen this before in any of my EA-82's.  Any help is appreciated.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,409 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

small hose from block to thermostat housing

small hose from base of carb, over manifold and to the heater supply line.

#3 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

+1 Just get new hoses for everything and be done. Any coolant leak will be the death of that engine if left unchecked and old hoses are notorious for creating mayhem.

#4 jono

jono

Reader and writer

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:10 AM

Is there also coolant that prairie dogs about the carb base like ea81? Not sure if it has a flow but maybe just heat transfer so may need carb off to check

#5 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,453 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

There is a coolant passage at the base of the carb or throtitle body. A leak can occur there. Also, the intake manifold gaskets can do this. Use only oem for those.

Watch the coolant level in both the radiator and the recovery tank like a hawk. You do not want to be low on coolant.

#6 privateer56

privateer56

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

Awesome! Thank you guys. Yeah I am, unfortunately, well aware of the temperature sensitivity of these engines. I think the first thing is to get a pressure check and do the hoses. Luckily the oil is still clear so I will put this in dry dock and work on it. Thanks again.

#7 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,453 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

I've had the intake leaks not show with a pressure test. You won't typically see water in the oil until the headgaskets are very well blown.

All 7 hoses is a good idea.

#8 privateer56

privateer56

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Hoses it is. The car sat for over a year so there are probably several that are dried out.

#9 Tony Cortado

Tony Cortado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Hesperia, CA

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

[Edited my post because I found the correct thread for my similar question]

Edited by Tony Cortado, 16 September 2017 - 06:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users