Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1981 Hatch DL 4WD EJ22 Swap

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,346 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

you will get improved caster angles if you spin those strut tophats 180 degrees.

#52 Andymccauley

Andymccauley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Portland OR

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

you will get improved caster angles if you spin those strut tophats 180 degrees.

When I build a lift I'll remember that

#53 Andymccauley

Andymccauley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Portland OR

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:12 AM

Thinking about getting this fuel pump, I know it's made in China... But it's the cheap, new cheap. So I'm debating it.

https://m.ebay.com/i...Z-/302357572710

Gunna hit pick n pull this weekend and try to rob a fuel feed hard-line out of a EA82. I guess I'll figure out how it might work with the DL tank after I get it.

If it doesn't I'm debating on getting some 1/4" efi hose and some 5/16" to 1/4" barb adapters and just using the stock lines

#54 andrsn

andrsn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Portland OR

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

I went with the barb adapters and my stock hard lines. I thought about running a bigger line but then realized that no matter what you do, if you don't put bigger barbs on your tank it doesn't really matter how big your lines are further down the supply chain... at least that's my thinking about the matter. I haven't run it yet but hopefully it'll get enough fuel as I have it set up.

#55 Andymccauley

Andymccauley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Portland OR

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

I went with the barb adapters and my stock hard lines. I thought about running a bigger line but then realized that no matter what you do, if you don't put bigger barbs on your tank it doesn't really matter how big your lines are further down the supply chain... at least that's my thinking about the matter. I haven't run it yet but hopefully it'll get enough fuel as I have it set up.

That was my thoughts as well but if a bigger hard-line can some how be attached to the tank without restriction it would flow better.

#56 andrsn

andrsn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Portland OR

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

Well, I'm interested to know what you do. I think I read a post in some thread on here by a person who ran all the stock stuff for years and never had a problem... I do wanna build a surge tank eventually. 

#57 Andymccauley

Andymccauley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Portland OR

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 AM

Well, I'm interested to know what you do. I think I read a post in some thread on here by a person who ran all the stock stuff for years and never had a problem... I do wanna build a surge tank eventually.

Well I've been wondering about that. So instead of wasting my time at pick n pull, and because the weather is crap lol. I ordered a barb adapter and some 1/4" efi hose. If it doesnt work that well, I only spent 15 bucks so not a big deal. I'll just have to find a hard-line then.

#58 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,837 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted Yesterday, 06:12 PM

The stock lines work fine for a ej22E swap it would be a different story if you swapped in a ej257 with a fat turbo and huge injectors. I've ran my ej22 swap for a couple years with no problems without a surge tank.

#59 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,346 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted Yesterday, 08:39 PM

The stock lines work fine for a ej22E swap it would be a different story if you swapped in a ej257 with a fat turbo and huge injectors. I've ran my ej22 swap for a couple years with no problems without a surge tank.

in an 80 or 81 model??

the reason I ask is the lines are smaller in those first 2 years.

#60 Andymccauley

Andymccauley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Portland OR

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 PM

What year?

I was big into the minitruck scene years ago, when the B2200 trucks are converted to EFI they have nearly the same size hardlines as this DL. So I figure it shouldn't really be an issue.

#61 Andymccauley

Andymccauley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Portland OR

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 PM

This awesome peice of machinery.

zlOYueU7_o.jpg

I ran into more than a few connectors that wouldn't reach with the cluster sitting where it should also the driver side front headlight wiring was a little too far away too. So I pulled all the wiring back out and ran it how I originally ran it but this time yarded the blower box out. Everything reaches now hopefully this is how it's going to sit for good for the most part anyway.

vnCWbmjp_o.jpg

4jg3NAtO_o.jpg

YjLJ6upW_o.jpg

Also put the plug wires in, put a oil filter and some oil in it too.

#62 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,346 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted Today, 11:46 AM

Are you swapping hte entire wiring harness into the DL?  Like headlights, tailights etc?  Way more work than needed to get a running EJ22.  But I guess that's one way to put a tachometer into a DL.  lol

Also, I see a fuel pump, regulator, and plastic filter up there in the spare tire well.  Please tell me that's not the pup your using?  That is a low pressure pump.  And that fiter is NOT meant to be pressurized to the 35+  psi that the correct type pump will run.

you need a pump from a SPFI or MPFI GL/loyale or equivalent type replacement.

#63 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Aurora

Posted Today, 03:28 PM

Looks like a wire bomb went off, lol! I only laugh because I am sure I will be seeing the same thing soon. I got a Beck/Arnley pump off ebay for $60.00 new. Suppose to fit a Loyale so I hope I am good with it. Going to try and mount it were the factory pump sits. Only thing I am not sure on is the clutch, I installed a new clutch in my  my Brat about 75k ago. Guess I can decide to go with it are upgrade when I get there. Going to try and not be in a hurry. You seem to be coming right along!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users