Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subframe drop issues

So I dropped my subframe 1.5 inches today, legacy knuckle and all. blocks on the engine crossmember, blocks on the trans crossmember, and dropped the driveshaft center support half an inch. Well, my driveshaft hits the little brace that is underneath the tailshaft of the trans. I tried dropping the driveshaft another half inch and it looked like it was just worse. Should I just undrop the center support? Or is this something else that needs to be lowered? I have never seen anyone talk about it.

just ditch it.

not needed

It's in my garage so I just won't throw it back on. Another quick question is now I can't go into 2wd with the console in the car, do I need to lengthen any linkage in particular or can I just heat up the 4wd shifter itself and add an upward bend to raise it up a bit?

It's in my garage so I just won't throw it back on. Another quick question is now I can't go into 2wd with the console in the car, do I need to lengthen any linkage in particular or can I just heat up the 4wd shifter itself and add an upward bend to raise it up a bit?

either that or cut/sleeve and extend the D/R linkage a short amount.

I used a torch on mine.  you dont need a hammer, just clamp some vice grips on the shaft and use them for leverage with your hand.  I pulled the seats completely out and took the console completely out so there was plenty of room, and removed the rubber from the lever.  I put a metal box in the drivers side where the seat goes to set the torch down if you need to, even if you turn off the gas the torch head is hot enough to damage.  doesnt take much at all, kiss the metal where you want to bend with the torch, pull away the heat and bend it with your hand.  I put the torch out and in the box to reset the vice grip and restarted everything for the second bend.

you have to make 2 bends, placement is up to you.  one goes up, then the other bends back down to get the lever flattened back out to its original angle.  I left the rubber off of mine for extra clearance, and because I eventually want to cut the shaft to have the knob run just outside of the console to have more console room to put a cup holder.

Edited by djellum