Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What Years and Models ECU's are compatible with my 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trainergames

trainergames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Spring,TX

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:28 PM

I'm asking because i am trying to repair my car and it needs a new ECU.

I was looking at a local Pick-A-Part and they have about a dozen Subaru's,but the newest one is a 2003...

Will anything 2003 or slightly older work? Or will i have to buy online?

#2 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,263 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

if your 2005 has an immobilizer then you can't just swap the ECU like you can on 04 and earlier models.

for parts in general though: 

www.car-part.com and the cheapest one shows up on your doorstep rather than driving, walking, looking, striking out....

#3 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,503 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

+1 on Car-part.com....I'd add your '05 is 'unique' in that it's the 1st year of the return of the MAF-based systems of the EJ253 AND the year prior to the i-avls variable cams on the '06+ models..

I'd bet you're limited to ONLY '05 Impreza non-turbo and MAYBE '05 Foresters, and it needs to match your transmission.

#4 trainergames

trainergames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Spring,TX

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

if your 2005 has an immobilizer then you can't just swap the ECU like you can on 04 and earlier models.

for parts in general though: 

www.car-part.com and the cheapest one shows up on your doorstep rather than driving, walking, looking, striking out....

I don't think it does,how would i tell?

+1 on Car-part.com....I'd add your '05 is 'unique' in that it's the 1st year of the return of the MAF-based systems of the EJ253 AND the year prior to the i-avls variable cams on the '06+ models..

I'd bet you're limited to ONLY '05 Impreza non-turbo and MAYBE '05 Foresters, and it needs to match your transmission.

I do have a question for you guys.

I have been thinking it is the ECU,but a coworker thinks it might be the starter.

So my car got flooded in Texas it got up to the speakers in the door.

I already checked for water in the oil and there was none.

At first it had no power at all so i bought a charger and tried to charge it,it had no effect.

So then i bought a new battery and now it's getting power the radio,lights and windows all work.

But when i tried to start the car stuff dimmed like normal,but nothing happened, no clicks or noise of any kind.

What do you guys think it is?

#5 Mike104

Mike104

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • N KY

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:46 AM

Starter is a definite possibility since it dims (meaning the starter is being energized but not rotating.  Remove the starter and take it to a chain auto parts store and they can test it for free.  Much better option than an ECU.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 21,306 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:17 AM

The ECU may still be bad. It's under the floor.

2005 is a hermaphrodite year. Your going to need an exact match.

GD

#7 matt167

matt167

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

I doubt it needs to come from an RS, since in 2005 that package did not equate to much. Basically WRX front fascia and special RS floormats.  and they were all 2.5L SOHC. Car-part.com is littered with them cheap. $25-75

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users