Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of a New Subie - Out of Touch

My old 99 2.2 Impreza (260K), while it still runs good, the transmission (5 Spd) is soon to be in need of a rebuild.

It is getting costly to keep up with some rust issues, So I have been looking at some "newer" used Subies.

(Impreza or Legacy)

Having not really kept up with the new models I am seeking advise on some of the following.

I really do not want to go older than 2010 or over $15K, but there are a couple of 2009 listed, wondering about

2.0 vs 2.5,  Auto vs 5 vs 6 Spd (prefer manual), Turbo (the 2010 Legacy is). Any inherent problems with Model / Years I am looking at?

I am not in a rush, but really need some quality guidance from you all experts.   :D

2010 Subaru Legacy AWD 2.5GT Limited Sedan 6 Spd
$16,788 RetailValue
$14,988 Internet Price
Mileage 108,769

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Auto
No-haggle price $11,998
Mileage 72K

2014 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Auto
No-haggle price $15,998
Mileage 37K

2014 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Auto
No-haggle price $15,998
Mileage 42K

2014 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium 5 Spd
No-haggle price $15,998
Mileage 63K

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback 5 Spd
No-Haggle Price $10,998
Mileage 118K

These are all in the Denver / Colorado Springs area, and I know I would not get much for a trade-in

on the 99 so it will be kept around for BAD snow days, wish some of these were 2 doors, but that's a thing of the past!   :angry:

Thanks, Bill

Edited by billrigsby

If you want ultimate reliability, find a 2010 Forester or Impreza automatic. These have the EJ25 but the updated 770 head gaskets from the factory. They also have the 4EAT (bulletproof). Steer clear of early FB's (oil consumption) and all the CVT's (valve body/programming/torque converters/belt whine).

Or you can send me your trans for a rebuild. Those are dead simple and I can easily make it like new again. Typically they only need about $150 in parts, and bench tear down / reassembly is $800. Shipping would be about $300 typically. Find someone to R&R it - about 5 hours labor. Should be less than $2k with a clutch/flywheel resurface/fluid.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

FB is the engine code for the newer engines. Previously it was EJ.

Foresters got the FB engine in 11' in the US

Outback in 12

And not sure about when the imprezas got them as they have a smaller engine.

Early gen FB engines had high oil consumption issues. Unless addressed by the dealer under warranty.

What about the legacies, any idea when they got the FB? And what are your opinions on the 5 and 6 speeds for this era?

I'm also guessing current models are still using the FBS and, at what point did the oil consumption not become an issue?

Edited by billrigsby

Here are the affected vehicles for the extended warranty

Covered Vehicles

https://www.girardgibbs.com/subaru-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit/

The “Settlement Class Vehicles” are:

Automatic / CVT Transmission:

• 2011-14 Forester (below VIN *529004)
  • 2012-13 Impreza 4-Door (below VIN *033336)
  • 2012-13 Impreza 5-Door Wagon
    (below VIN *886714)
  • 2013 Crosstrek (below VIN *856139)
  • 2013 Legacy (below VIN *048086)
  • 2013 Outback (below VIN *321435)

Manual Transmission:

• 2011-15 Forester (below VIN *543650 )
  • 2012-15 Impreza (below VIN *270253)
  • 2013-15 Crosstrek (below VIN *270284)
  • 2013-14 Legacy (all)
  • 2013-14 Outback (all)
Edited by Mike104
  • Like 1

Here is a long article about "oil consumption" and a list of worse offenders:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

As explained better elsewhere by GD the oil consumption was a design trade off to improve gas mileage.  Less ring friction for better mileage, less efficient oil scraping, leads to consuming oil between oil changes.

The fix for Subaru was to put in a new short block that got up to 3 MPG LESS.  A quart of oil between oil changes is a cheaper option than reduced fuel economy IMO.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, forester2002s said:

I have a 2017 Forester with the FB2.5 engine.

I change the oil about every 8,000km.  The oil level on the dipstick stays at the 'Full' mark all the time (measured when cold).

I had to re read that 8k, missed the km, my work goes 5k miles, I still like 3k miles 

Old School, thanks for the info.

I also have a 2002 Forester with the EJ2.5 engine; in that car I change the oil (dyno) at about 3,000-5,000km. I've had that car since new with very few problems (I changed the headgaskets at 226,000km using 11044AA642 MLS gaskets). The car is now burning a little oil between changes.

However in the 2017 Forester, I use full-synthetic oil.  That's why I go about 8,000km between changes (recommended is 10,000km).  And as I said above, it consumes virtually no oil.

• 2 years later...

The FB25 is not immune from headgasket issues, a few months ago I swapped out one in a 2013 Outback (first year of the FB in the OB). They were getting quotes of 4k to 6k to do headgaskets. If you can find a low mile used engine at a good price it is a good alternative.

The FB's also have the leaky cam towers that are pretty expensive to reseal.