Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Backed - Up Overflow & Check Engine

coolant leak and check engine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cambion84

Cambion84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Utica NY

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

Hi guys,

So my 03 Forester with 220,000 miles did some funky stuff this weekend.

I was on thruway doing 70 MPH hauling a 4x8 trailer (not full, hauling drums & guitars) when I smelled coolant and my check engine light came on, IT DID NOT OVERHEAT.

I watched the temp gauge nervously and when I got of my exit I pulled over and checked for leaks but, there wasn't any thing dripping.

My check engine light is still on & I've been driving it very little. Has anyone experienced this before? what should I look for and what should be next steps in being proactive about a repair? Should I be worried?

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,698 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Yes you should be concerned.  Subaru's come up to temp and the temp gauge is always at the same spot if everything is working properly.

Make sure you check the radiator coolant level in the tank, not just the overflow when it's cold.  It should be full.  The newer 2.5 have external coolant and or oil leaks at the HG.  Check them.

It is possible that the load was just to much.  Has it been back to normal since?

Latty

#3 montana tom

montana tom

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • trout creek montana

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

Upstate new york, late sept... Did you have the temp  turned up for winter ?  We have gone from raging fires to snow on the mountain.  Check the things suggested by Imdew.  Have the codes read on your car (auto zone) its possible it's not even coolant related. 

#4 Cambion84

Cambion84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Utica NY

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

Thanks guys! seriously. I had the codes checked, it was just one P0456 which is Evap emissions leak. I cleared the code and it went away. The coolant levels in radiator and overflow are all back to normal. Gauge is normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users