Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys,

So my 03 Forester with 220,000 miles did some funky stuff this weekend.

I was on thruway doing 70 MPH hauling a 4x8 trailer (not full, hauling drums & guitars) when I smelled coolant and my check engine light came on, IT DID NOT OVERHEAT.

I watched the temp gauge nervously and when I got of my exit I pulled over and checked for leaks but, there wasn't any thing dripping.

My check engine light is still on & I've been driving it very little. Has anyone experienced this before? what should I look for and what should be next steps in being proactive about a repair? Should I be worried?

Yes you should be concerned.  Subaru's come up to temp and the temp gauge is always at the same spot if everything is working properly.

Make sure you check the radiator coolant level in the tank, not just the overflow when it's cold.  It should be full.  The newer 2.5 have external coolant and or oil leaks at the HG.  Check them.

It is possible that the load was just to much.  Has it been back to normal since?

Latty