Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 4WD GL EA82, What Clutch to buy?

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this one out, it's probably simple, but I'm new to this so I could use some advice.

I just picked up a pretty well taken care of 87' GL wagon with selectable 4wd, the guys who owned it before me were pretty straight up and told me it's going to need a new clutch ASAP, they also gave me the full Factory Service Manual and pointed me towards http://www.rockauto.com/ to look for parts.

In the FSM the clutch for the 4wd is listed as having 25 teeth, but both online and in my local parts shop they've only got options with 21 or 24 teeth.

Anyone have any experience with this and could throw me a bone? I've searched through the threads on the forum and haven't really found a clear answer. I'm sure someone has changed one of these before and knows what's up. What clutch kit should I order?

Also from what I've read on here it seems like the best way to do this is going to be by pulling out the engine to get at the clutch. Since I'll have it out anyway, I think I'm going to grab a full engine gasket and seal set and re-do them at the same time. Is there anything else it's worth looking at and maybe replacing while I've got it all torn apart? Special tools I'll need? Tips, tricks, suggestions? I'm gonna need all the help I can get on this one, so chime in if it's not a bother to help a soobie noobie along

post-68000-0-87475100-1506457500_thumb.png

Thanks in advance! 

Just did this over the winter with my 87 GL wagon. 

Exedy 15008 is what I used. 8 months later, no issues. Machine shop was $50 to resurface the flywheel. 

There are a bunch of threads on resealing the engine, so I won't bother going through all that. (You can google EA82 reseal and pull them up. The forum search is admittedly clunky sometimes.) 

Good luck. Two things come to mind that must be OEM: The cam tower o-rings, and the intake gaskets if you take the intake off. 

Dan

For seals your gonna want to do oil pump, oil pan, valver cover, and cam seals at the minimum. Resealing the engine is really straightforward. Oil pan I wouldn't use those cork gaskets, use Permatex The Right Stuff. Don't get those cheap reseal kits too, i've had good luck with Felpro. Might as well do timing belt too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just did this over the winter with my 87 GL wagon. 

Exedy 15008 is what I used. 8 months later, no issues. Machine shop was $50 to resurface the flywheel. 

There are a bunch of threads on resealing the engine, so I won't bother going through all that. (You can google EA82 reseal and pull them up. The forum search is admittedly clunky sometimes.) 

Good luck. Two things come to mind that must be OEM: The cam tower o-rings, and the intake gaskets if you take the intake off. 

Dan

I just got everything apart and went to put on the Exedy 15008, Doesn't fit! Bummer! Maybe the transmission with the Selectable 4wd has more or less splines than yours, Dan?

I've already gotten through resealing the whole engine aside from the rear main seal and the oil pump. Any pro tips for getting the oil pup bolt loose once the timing belts are already off? I tried with them on but it just jumped the teeth. I assume there's some kind of specialty tool.

I guess I'll just order clutches from local parts stores and keep trying till I find one that fits... day 4 now of tearing this thing apart and replacing hoses, gaskets, belts, such a fun week, how spoiled am I?! 

Now if only I can find a clutch that fits...

Edited by Brianmitchtay

Scratch that! I got it to fit. I must just be a little weary after all the hours of scraping gaskets.

For anyone who might read this in the future, the FSM says the transmission has 25 teeth, so you want a clutch with 24 splines, since it goes in the spaces between, there's one less.

C'est fini! Now I just have to put the damn thing back together