Ultimate Subaru Message Board

want wire connectors like in loom

jono

If anyone has stripped a factory wiring loom and found those brass wire crimp connectors, usually where on wire becomes two as in the earth wires.....you then know what I want

I refuse to use standard auto insulated crimp connectors or scotch locks

I hate how scotch locks tend to cut wire strands as the joiner bites in.

As for the insulated crimps have seen them cause too much grief

A seller of after market electronic ignition kits set me right back in 1990 by insisting I use utilux h953

Connectors that have no clear coating no insulators and best used with their crimp tool #61 iI think it is, curls the crimp in nice and tight then next bit on the wire insulation so job looks like those seen in backs of home electrical white goods. I slip a heat shrink tube in before connector is crimped and then larger dia heat shrink over the main body of connector for a never fail join. Now I want those loom join crimp tubes. Anyone know correct name and where to get?

My fall back connectors are insulated. I heat up insulation with CIG lighter to remove and chuck. These I find do not have the second crimp for wire and its insulation.

The guy way back also hated customers trying to solder hook ups and warned warranty void if not installed to his strict instructions

Thanks for the name. I had a brain wave after posting this. Wondered if I can make do with cheap hobby alloy or brass tube. I know I have some stashed. Just gotta work out my filing system last time I saw it. Hope it wasn't the rotary file ( bin)

I believe what you might be looking for is called a Deutsch Connector.

Usually water proof and look like a factory plug, you can get them from Autobarn, or a Narva equivelent, which also work extremely well in my experience.

You can usually find them in 2, 3, 4 and 6 pin configuration by memory.

The only place I have been able to find a crimping tool for non-insulated terminals is from Supercheap but for a change it seems to be a solid crimping plier and works well.

If all else fails, try searching on the web for a place called "The 12 Volt Shop". They have the genuine Deutsch Connectors and to my knowledge, they will ship anywhere in Aus.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Al Zhiemer

You thought about getting the non insulated spade terminals like normally plug into a relay and cutting off the male/female terminal & just using the crimp part? That'd look pretty identical to what the factory uses.

Cover with heatshrink/tape & you're done.