Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque steer?

Has anyone out there with a 1985 brat ever had a problem with their Brat pull to the left under acceleration and instantly pull to the right when you let off the throttle? This has been happening for the last year or so and its not just a slight pull it's a major movement.

Could be alignment.

Acceleration can shift the front up and then down enough to allow bump steer.
Pretty common on a vehicle with less than new suspension, especially if the toe in was set with the wheel crooked, or hasn't been set in a while. Fairly easy to check too.

As always, start with the simple stuff and work from there. 

Edited by charles_thomas

Thanks everyone for the information I will start with alignment and check bushings then go from there, it has new struts and ball joints and new axles, haven't thought about the brakes and they are new too, could be stuck caliper but it seems to free wheel  when I jack it up, also I have noticed  the left (drivers side) front wheel lines up with the edge of the fender and the right (passenger side) is inside the fender, not sure if it's supposed to look like that.