Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

alt problem fixed/dash light problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:55 AM

hello all, my alt on my 88 turbo full time 4wd a/t gl-10 wagon went out , so i replaced it , now the dash lights are out , clock , floor shifter light , are all out , the digital part is ok , is there a breaker fuse or reset somewhere ??

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:40 AM

If your alternator failed due to higher than normal output, there's certainly the possibility that the dash lights are burned out. Check your owner's manual for the fuse locations and what they control.

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:06 AM

With that many outages I would replace fusible links under the hood. Also pull the fuse panel inside and inspect fuses (down by your left knee!). The panel has a chart with all systems ran by corrisponding fuses and the fuse amp ratings.

#4 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 21 June 2004 - 12:08 PM

umm when my alts died all the dash idiot lights came on ... replaced teh alts and they went out ...

thats why i use a gm alternator now
so it may not be anything to worry about
but checking things over is also not a bad idea

#5 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:46 AM

ok, thanks

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,351 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:37 AM

after poking around jim's wagon, used a test lead to check for voltage at the sheft lever ligh(auto) it showed i had voltage at both prongs, so a good bulb did no good either.

after referring to the haynes manual, it all comes from fuse 12(engine meter) and it was good.
being a digi-dash, the int display would disappear with teh headlights off. also if you dim the dimmer past fully on they would be off. well, before i got into tearing the whole works apart i replaced the inst dimmer switch and what do you know, it works! problem solved

what did we learn? voltage spiking will burn out the dimmer switch! jim will be pleased when he gets home, and his wife can see how fast she's gong at night!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users