Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 head gasket. Fel-pro vs. Cometic

Yup, another head gasket rebuild topic.

While I plan on buying the gasket kit from Rockauto, I don't plan on using their head gasket. Rock auto just has a great price for all the rest of the gaskets.

So, while browsing Summit Racing, they have a huge selection of Cometic head gaskets and only one Fel-pro. I'm guessing there is a reason for this...

Is there a difference between these? The cost difference is slight.

If stock thickness is .100, is it worth moving to .080? This is a daily driver on a rough mountain road. More power would be nice, but not at the expense of reliability.

For the record, 1990 legacy. Engine is from a wrecking yard. Was in the car when I bought it.

Thanks

Get them from Subaru. The dealer gaskets are made by Nippon Reinz. There is no benefit to any aftermarket gasket on that engine. Composite graphite gaskets were used from the factory and typically last 250k with properly prepared head and block surfaces. I would not move to an MLS gasket as the block and cylinder head surfaces on those engines tend to be pretty rough and sealing it up is probably best done with the graphite composite. 

GD

Felpro head gaskets for that engine are exact same as what you would get from the dealer. Even have te Fuji heavy industries logo on them.

A thinner head gasket won't make a noticae difference in power. You want more power switch to a roller cam and rocker setup, and put in a set of delta torque cams.

Thank you for your input. I looked into the Subaru dealership. They want a goodly sum for them, don't they?

I'll have to make do with the fel-pro this time. I can fix my beater winter car for now, then build up my summer car proper.

just remember you get what you pay for.

Some claim the Fel-pro are just re-sold factory gaskets.......sometimes they might be.......but I know I've seen definately not factory HGs in Felpro packaging too......plus felpro other seals and gaskets like intake and Cam seals will be China junk.

I would not risk it.  

See if any local stores can get you "Stone" branded headsets.....they are Japanese and include good quality rubber seals.

If you order the Fel Pro's locally you can check them out before walking out of the store. 

Subaru - you can order online for about a 20% discount from local dealers, but then you have shipping to contend with.  Usually the dealer prices on gaskets is not bad, but i haven't checked an EJ22 in ages. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the gasket from Napa auto. Good or bad, judging from the condition of the crankshaft pulley key this engine is not long for this world anyway.

I just picked up another 2.2 on Sunday. Now that I have time, I'll rebuild this one better. I now have the tools and I just had great practice.

Not sure if I want to try a frankenmoter yet, but I'll have a set of heads for when I do.

I have the Cometic gaskets 2 sets and a set of 2.2 heads for a Frankenmotor.  I'll make you a great deal on the set.  I'm in Colorado but shipping should not be to bad.  I can ship FedEx to a business address to save some $$.

Larry

judging from the condition of the crankshaft pulley key this engine is not long for this world anyway.

The key isn't even needed at all, the crank bolt will never come loose if you crank it down tight.  i've done it gobs of times, no big deal. 

Clean it all up and put it back together with or without the key and crank the crank bolt tight with a 2foot pipe over the socket handle (the crank and bolt are steel and won't strip) and it's not moving. 

• 4 weeks later...