Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Guys and Subi Gals,

I have a dilemma.  Just got a flat and plugged it, but need a replacement now. The tire is shot and for some reason looks like a skid on one foot section of the rear side opposite of where

I've had cv joint play, but replaced the axle assembly.  I was going to get a new set of 4, but strapped for $ with a bunch of high priority issues all at once. Am hoping that I might be able to get a matching size spare to replace the bad one, but concerned about it burning out the differential on my 5 spd. standard 98 Leg. O.B.

Checking Craig's List, adds for used, etc.

Am looking for another job, and to sell something, but neither is guaranteed right now.

If $ weren't an issue right now, I would err on safety.

Any suggestion?  

Thanks!

Outbackpacker

You can get tires shaved, used to be a common thing for "stock" road racing classes.

You could try to find a used tire with the same diameter as your worn tires.  Since even the same brand, model, and size of tire can vary in size, that will be tough since you'd have to measure them inflated.

One thing I've done a couple times is just to replace two tires, either diagonal or both on left or right side of car.  Center diff is by far the most likely to go out.

if your car has an open diff in the rear (pretty sure it does)  you could get 2 matching tires and run them on opposite corners with 2 of your present matching tires.

some folks have found worn tires on ebay to match their set of 3.

not sure I understand your 'skid' complaint - if front tires are wearing the inner edges, maybe you need a toe adjustment or you have worn tie rods or ???

Get a used tire to match. Shops eBay craigslist etc.

If it’s the original 15” tire size those should be easily found and are inexpensive.

If you buy two new tires you can install one in the front and one on the opposite side rear as long as you don’t have a rear LSD which you shouldn’t.

Theoretically this will put more strain on the gears inside the diffs but whether that’s benign or real world practical I don’t think anyone knows. I’ve seen shops around here install two new tires in that way.

And then you’ll possibly have rotation issues and the smaller older tires will likely be the ones spinning and wearing faster.

autos just run it FWD and you have multiple easy options, but you’re stuck with the lesser tans here.

It's very rare to see a center diff VC fail on a phase 1 5 speed. I wouldn't worry about it short term.

GD

Operative word here being short term.

I put about 1000 miles on a 96 5spd using one mismatched brand/type (same size)  starting in winter snow where all was good, but then I was lazy and broke and left it and did many long trips on barely wet pavement.

It seized the center VC.  Not actually the VC unit, but the spider gears.  It ate the thrust washer and seized the spider to the holder.  So it is no bueno for anything but a trip to the tire shop.

Better option by far, is to run pairs in diagonal as long as you don't also have a VLSD rear diff.  Which you're 98 will likely not have.

Short trips would be the order of the day, yes. Long trips will overheat the VC. Short term, and short trips..... 

In any case it's best to get a cheap set of NEW tires. If you look around you can do it for around $300 usually. Honestly, if you can't budget for car repairs you have no business on the road posing a danger to yourself and my family. I get that "times are tough" (though unemployment is at record lows and business is booming so I guess times are always tough eh?) but driving isn't free, or a right. It's a privilege and comes with responsibilities as well as consequences when you don't live up to them.

GD

Tire shaving is a little harder to find now a days. Daughter hit a 4-5" screw with her 2010 Impreza puncturing upper side wall. Michelins with 7/32 tread. Called my local dealer, then called several of the biggest tire dealers in a three county area and local Subaru dealer. Subaru dealer used Tirerack, no one else knew anyone around here that still did it. Ordered the tire from tirerack and our local dealer installed for free. They felt sorry for me as the single shaved Michelin cost me about $50.00 more than  when I bought them, from my dealer. 

Set of Douglas All Season from Walmart will run around $70 each installed without taxes. That is for any of the common Subaru 15/16" sizes. Buy your valve stems in the flat repair section at Walmart since it's cheaper that way and give them to them to install. 

i have sometimes gotten great deals on ebay you have to use the miata tire calculator  and see whatever size tires will fit your car closely

but im not talking about matching the one tire im talking about a set once i got a set of four michlin hydroedges for like 100 or 150. they were like new.

the size calculator allows you to maybe find other sizes other people might not look for, or just search all 15 inch michelins, etc.

on the other hand i got recently a set of brand new conti pro radials, the first time i ever got continentals, fo 300 cash installed at a mexican (description only) tire shop here. amazing.

https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html