Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing loyale front axle shaft

I have a 93 loyale wgn 4wd and my left front axle is in dire need of replacement. I plan to tackle it tues. with a friend of mine.

The question I have is how difficult is the job? Is it like a standard CV shaft replacement, in and out, or is there any particular things that set a loyale apart from other axle shaft replacements? We've done a few asian front drivers before but I remember coming across something that said the knuckle needed to be pressed off or something like that.

Thanks

Craig

I have a 93 loyale wgn 4wd and my left front axle is in dire need of replacement. I plan to tackle it tues. with a friend of mine.

The question I have is how difficult is the job? Is it like a standard CV shaft replacement, in and out, or is there any particular things that set a loyale apart from other axle shaft replacements? We've done a few asian front drivers before but I remember coming across something that said the knuckle needed to be pressed off or something like that.

Thanks

Craig

It's sometimes tough to get the axle out of the hub, but nothing a big jaw gear puller can't handle. Other than that I think it's pretty straightforward - particularly if you've done other axles before.