Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Outback, trans bearing question

My friend and mechanic was checking out my car, and found a blown boot on inner half shaft. That is easy enough to fix, but then noticed that the bearing is loose and worn, where the half shaft inserts into the AT tranny. How is that bearing replaced at time of replacement of half shaft? My mechanic would like to know how. So far, there is no vibration from the worn bearing, but mechanic warned me to park the car if it starts to vibrate. Any help on how to replace that bearing would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!...................Rooster2

It's not loose - you're mechanic doesn't know what he's looking at. Don't let this guy work on your Subaru. 

And if it were actually to turn out to be loose - the transmission is not long for this world. You can't replace the differential carrier bearings without splitting the transmission case and if that were true it wouldn't be worth bothering because the innards will be chowder. 

GD

It's not loose - you're mechanic doesn't know what he's looking at. Don't let this guy work on your Subaru. 

And if it were actually to turn out to be loose - the transmission is not long for this world. You can't replace the differential carrier bearings without splitting the transmission case and if that were true it wouldn't be worth bothering because the innards will be chowder. 

GD

AT.  Case doesn't split.

But basically yes GD is correct.

The stubs are clipped in and the wiggle you feel is the stub in the bevel gears of the diff.

DO NOT mess with the bearing retainer ring unless you are replacing the seals.  And then if you make sure you inderstand the proceedure to rest the backlash/side clearance.

• Like 1