Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vacuum hoses

This is a continuation but could not figure out how to accomplish that on website. Too many struggles at once.  Have the 85 with smooth running but high idle in neutral.  Thought I had made a good fit with transfering the hose constrictor which seems to be a short metal piece within the hose into the modified replacement contraption and idle dropped from 1500 to 1200. But then was doing more snooping and found another disconnected hose. This one looks disconnected not broke and by it's length needs to fit only air cleaner where I thought the broken one belonged. With that hook up change the car runs about the same but now I have a hose without a noticeable attachment place. Problem is the idle has been like this for 2 yrs. but only now need to pass emissions and had Cat replaced thinking that busted one (old mechanic smashed it when it plugged up) was the only problem. Maybe bad hosing since mechanic last changed the carb. And so whatever may have been at the other end would be dusty and gunky and not obvious. Almost got air cleaner off but vision still restricted. There is a small plastic round  'wafer'   that  the broken hose was hooked on to.  Reads SDLS30-20   Hitachi manufacturer.    Although the general picture in my old Chilton Guide shows correctly in direction to remove air cleaner, no other diagrams make adequate sense, including hose diagram under hood. It seems to lack half the connections. That other disconnected hose that I now think goes to cleaner pipe traces with another around brake fluid reservoir and into dash area.  Thinking I'll temporarily plug the mystery one to see what happens.   As I mentioned previously this is the third carb. First went  about 25 yrs. and next was from Florida and never ran good and failed about 3 yrs. later. This one always was a good match. Have no idea wheather it is a Hitachi or Weber.