Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2007 Legacy Limited ABS Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CjLj0223

CjLj0223

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

I had a left rear bearing growling.  Took it to a shop and they replaced the hub assembly.  When they were done, my ABS light was on.  They replaced the hub again.  No change.  They ordered an ABS speed sensor and put it on.  Light was off.  All was good.  2 days later, my ABS light is on again.  Took it back to them, with the ABS light on all the way.  They got in the car to pull it into a service bay, and the light was off.  I drove home.  All was well.  This morning I got half way to work and the light comes on again.  What the heck????????  Anyone have a clue? Cuz the mechanics don't. 

#2 Mike104

Mike104

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • N KY

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:56 PM

I've heard others mention some aftermarket hub assemblies have issues with ABS sensors.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 12,746 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:47 PM

Kinda sounds like they damaged the wheel speed sensor for that wheel. Or as Mike said they installed a crap hub unit and the magnetic ring in the unit isn't designed properly so the ABS can't read it to get an accurate speed signal.

Does the light turn on right away, or does it only come on after you start rolling?
Comes on right away is a wheel speed sensor problem. Damaged sensor, wiring, or loose connector.
Comes on when rolling is usually a tone ring problem.

#4 1997reduxe

1997reduxe

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Houston

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

i think sometimes (ive had a lot of abs problems) the sensor gets so old and dried out when they move it it kind of falls apart and they dont tell you cause theyre afraid youll make them replace it.

#5 CjLj0223

CjLj0223

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Got it solved. Took it back last night. Another mechanic took the speed sensor out and it had a groove cut into the side of it. So, he took it all apart and found that the dust plate at the back of the axle was bent by the first mechanic, and it was rubbing on the sensor. It also rubbed on the back of the hub and destroyed the magnetic ring. Needless to say, they are replacing everything again and I'll be good to go.

Thank you for your thoughts everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users