Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 to EA81 A/C swap?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spideyz

spideyz

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Sebastopol, CA

Posted 21 June 2004 - 12:52 PM

Anyone ever taken the AC out of an EA82 and put in in an EA81 without factory AC? Thinking about doing it now that summer is here and my 89 wagon sits dead (but with good AC) and the 87 brat is without AC.

Keith

#2 subieman

subieman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:53 PM

um... uh.... ok, I'll keep quiet. :rolleyes:
But anyway I have AC on my ea81 and none of the parts look interchangeable. Might be more of a nightmare then it's worth. You would be better off going to pnp. But I'm not positive on that one.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,664 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:11 AM

i put ea81 motors into ea82 bodies, using ALL ea82 components.
both used the round style inboard compressors.

aside from my application using the ea82 water pump, here is what you will do:
take off all the ea81 original anciliary devices. the ea82 ac/alt bracket will fit on the holes on the ea81 heads, the 12mm bolt on the top, and one of the 14mm on the front. the alternator and ac will be slightly spaced forward past the crank pulley, but its not that bad of an offset.

now, the alternator will sit farther back with the ea82 brqcketry, but an alt with the 2 pulley(non ac equipped ea82) will make up that space(i welded a double pulley for mine. everything will be in line for use of the ea82 power steering pump(use the ea82 lines, run them to the ea81 rack)

take a good look at an ea81 turbo, as it uses the ea82 style ps pump, and alt bracketry. that will give you an idea of how it will all fit to the ea81 block

this is how it all physically fits to the motor, but i dont know if the ea82 air conditioning lines will match up to an (ac equipped) ea81. mine used ea81 motor with ea82 components in an ea82 body.

i would suggest having all the parts at hand for comparison before you make the conversion, but its not impossible at all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users