Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knock Sensor replacement - 03 Outback 2.5L

I have a 2003 Outback and the Check Engine light just came on. Went to local dealer and was told the knock sensor wire was apparently chewed up by a rodent, and the sensor needs to be replaced - for $250.

Checked online and I can get an aftermarket sensor for $102.99. Where exactly is the sensor located on the 2.5L 4-cyl? Is this something a home mechanic with decent skills can replace easily to save the labor cost?

thanks

I have a 2003 Outback and the Check Engine light just came on. Went to local dealer and was told the knock sensor wire was apparently chewed up by a rodent, and the sensor needs to be replaced - for $250.

Checked online and I can get an aftermarket sensor for $102.99. Where exactly is the sensor located on the 2.5L 4-cyl? Is this something a home mechanic with decent skills can replace easily to save the labor cost?

thanks

Would it be much cheaper and easier to just cut and splice the damaged section of the cable? It's a shielded-type cable (like a guitar cable), but still repairable. Which side of the connector has the chew?

You repair it by cutting out the damaged section of wire, and replacing it with a new undamaged section cut to the same length. You'll need to solder it to do it properly, then insulate the exposed newly-repaired section with tape and/or heat-shrink tubing where the conductor is bare.

You say that pretty much the whole cable's been chewed. What I don't undersand is how replacing the sensor will remedy the damaged section of cable that is not part of the sensor assembly itself. Not sure why the dealer suggested that, unless he wasn't aware of the extent of damage?

First off, it's silly that the knock sensor on a N/A Outback costs $250 when the one from my STi motor cost $83. And another thing... the connector on the harness-side was no good, causing the CEL to go off even with the new knock sensor, so I just had it spliced together and it is working perfect.

Dont waste your time fixing a bad sensor on a 2003 vehicle. Check with this place for the best price I've found. (Around $60.00)

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/catalog/default.php

I just put one on my wifes 2000 Outback last Saturday. It took about 1/2 hour to do...Very easy. It is located under the airbox and is held down with only one bolt. You remove the air box unbolt the sensor from the motor, unplug the sensor from the wiring harness and do the same in reverse to assemble. Save your $200.00 and have some fun.

Great info thanks everyone.

One more question: The Check engine light is currently illuminated due to the bad knock sensor. When I install the new one will the computer realize this and turn off the light? Or will it be necessary to reset it somehow?

thanks