Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Desperate need to use a Select Monitor!

Hey folks,

Is there anyone in the IL, IN, WI and Iowa area that has one of these that I can use? I'll drive my cars up to your place just so I can troubleshoot my '95 Legacy and my '92 SVX. The OBD-II is not good for this type of thing unfortunately. Basically, I have some great troubleshooting info from the factory shop manuals that involves using the Select Monitor. W/o this tool, I won't be able to intelligently trouble shoot my problems.

My issues are:

P0301 and P0303 - Legacy (#1 and #3 cyl misfire)

Cruise control problems in the SVX.

I have done as much as one can do w/o simply throwing more parts at the Legacy. I've changed the ECU, coil pack, knock sensor, spark plugs and wires. I'd say that the biggest impact came from changing the ECU. For four months, the car was error code free. I'll swap the injectors from one side to the other to see if anything changes. On my SVX, I'm not able to go very far w/o the Select Monitor. I checked the usuals (vacuum pump, cracked hose, etc) to no avail.

I know I can take the cars to a dealer but I don't feel that they'll be willing to listen to the process I've gone through. Furthermore, I don't want to pay them extra labor hours in trying to get up to speed to where I am. If worse comes to worse, I'll have no choice but to take it to them. I had done this before and the dealership wasn't able to recreate the problem.

If anyone has a favorite diagnostician in the Chicagoland area, please let me know. My wife only drives the Legacy on surface streets due to the fear of stalling (again) in the hwy and getting run over by a 18 wheeler.

Thanks.

Ali

bolingbrook, IL