Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering wheel adapter

​Hey guys, I have a Lecarra steering wheel that I want to put in my 1983 GL coupe. Does anyone know who makes a adapter kit to make aftermarket steering wheels bolt up to a second gen Subaru? It does not have to be Lecarra

​because if there is another brand that makes a kit then I may go with that brand

​of steering wheel. The wheel I have is leather wrapped in burgundy leather and

​the interior in my coupe is gray so I was considering having the burgundy leather removed and have gray leather replaced around it. I imagine that having my wheel recovered the right way will probably be as costly as just buying a wheel

​that matches my gray interior. If anybody knows of an adapter please give me all the info that you know about it and thanks ahead of time.

​Thanks for the info ya'll and if any other members have some good info like

​the first two responses then let me know, I will need all the leads I can get.

I hear you carfreak85 , you gave me my first chuckle this morning and I needed it. If ya'll happen across one, drop me a line if its no trouble. 

​Thanks guys! Hey Knucklehead, do you have a part number for the adaptor?

​I called Grant because I had a part number and was hoping that it was still available and unfortunately it is discontinued. The man I talked to when I called them was Grant's trouble shooter and I could not have been more impressed. His name is Will and he is bending over backwards to try and help me. He took my phone number and he went to the manufacturing part of the business and questioned them with no luck. He called me back and told me to

​measure the steering shaft and count the splines and he is going to try and fix me up. That just "super size" impressed me and hopefully he will be able to cross reference it to another and fix me up. If he can find a fit, then I will post the details and part numbers for all that cares and knock this problem in the head, or as Barney Fife says "nip it in the bud"! Thanks to all. 

I haven't been impressed with Grant customer service in the past. I bought a reproduction steering wheel (for another brand) from them a few years ago and the laser cutting was very rough - I sent them photos of the poor finish where the cuts joined, and what I had to do to fix their workmanship (which admittedly was only 5 minutes with a dremel), and got no response at all.

Hopefully they come through with a solution that is used on a different vehicle, it might make it a lot cheaper and easier for people looking to change to after-market wheels.