Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to open hood

My hood Release is the same now.

It's completely possible.

I pulled out the front grill, surprisingly without breaking it, but break it if you have to.

Once out you have full control over the hood release switch.

Use your right hand to come up behind the verical post and pull the cable actuator to the driver side (USA driver side), while your left hand comes up the left and pulls the hood release lever.   -click-

-OR-

It could be the scenario where the plastic handle broke away from the metal cable. Get a hold of the cable with some fliers and pull.

I pulled out the front grill, surprisingly without breaking it, but break it if you have to.

Use your right hand to come up behind the verical post and pull the cable actuator to the driver side (USA driver side), while your left hand comes up the left and pulls the hood release lever. -click-

-OR-

It could be the scenario where the plastic handle broke away from the metal cable. Get a hold of the cable with some fliers and pull.

It feels like my cable came out from the release. If the handle just broke I'd be fine to just grab the cable, but the whole handle came with the cable out onto the floor almost.

There are 2 different latches.  One is fairly easy to jigger from below, the other is not, as the guts are shielded from tampering.  Once you get it open, it is simple to add a wire that sticks through the grill so you can open it from the front of the car. 

If you get a new cable, DO NOT PULL OUT THE OLD CASING until you have used it to pull the new cable into place.

Use your right hand to come up behind the verical post and pull the cable actuator to the driver side (USA driver side), while your left hand comes up the left and pulls the hood release lever. -click-

-OR-

Was able to get the grille off unharmed got the hood open. Thank you! Cable failed and pulled through itself. Fun fun

There are 2 different latches. One is fairly easy to jigger from below, the other is not, as the guts are shielded from tampering. Once you get it open, it is simple to add a wire that sticks through the grill so you can open it from the front of the car.

If you get a new cable, DO NOT PULL OUT THE OLD CASING until you have used it to pull the new cable into place.

I'll keep that in mind dude thank you!