Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat/GL/DL ball joints from Rock Auto - buyer beware

I bought what I thought was a dandy pair of lower control arm ball joints for my '85 Brat- they are the SKP brand, part number SK9081. Hey, they were only $2.94 each so I'm not even bothering to return them, but I thought you all should know that they will not fit (at least the ones I received). They look about right, but the taper is a little off so they  won't fit into the control arm. With my cheap digital caliper, I can't get good enough measurements to say just how much they are off, but they are off. I tried to install them, believe me. Vices were used. Hammers were used. A ball joint was destroyed. Curses were uttered. 

Anyway, the $14 version I bought from the local Advance Auto Parts worked just fine. And everything else I've bought from Rock Auto has been fine. 

I am tired saying DO NOT DEAL WITH ROACH AUTO!

Too bad you are a liar and that is NOT TRUE.

You will be on here again every time sombody mentions ROCKAUTO.

Everybody BUT YOU seems to like them.I do.

We are tired of your sniveling and whining. SHUT TFU!

• Like 1

I am tired saying AUTO!

no one is listening simply because it’s not logical.

you do not avoid every business that gets a bad review from a person or three on the planet.

You surely have shopped at a local auto parts store, wal mart, gas station and more that have countless stories of hosing someone. Now If you 3D print every product you use and grow all your own food and live off the grid and grow silkworms and cotton to make your own clothes then I apologize. It is highly unlikely the places you shop don’t have some horror stories. There are people that have horror stories about me so don’t listen to me either. Lol.

Here is what that is like - you want to tell others how to shop but you don’t “listen” to others? That doesn’t make much sense. It is not odd that no one would listen, that attitude generally isn’t socially, or commercially, helpful.

Rock Auto has plenty of good reviews and customers (I use them). and killer deals you can’t get elsewhere.

Do they have short comings? Yes. So do I and Online Subaru retailers convoluted shipping sometimes, Advance Auto online is clunky and amazon doesn’t always sort vehicles as you’d expect, online anything can be more problematic, and in store staff might be unhelpful sometimes, so what. Better to be flexible and understand how and why things work and make your decisions appropriately.

If you prefer to avoid a place or two, I totally get that. But desiring anecdotal experiences to be universally accepted is futile for the logic reasons outlined above.

• Like 3

Rock Auto has good parts, when cross checked. I bought alot of better ea82 parts for cheaper than what I would have spent at AutoZone. I even got a free Camry timing belt once and I don't own a Camry! Customer service has always been great and half the time I get my parts the next day because I live 2.5 hours from the distribution center. I think we need a part and part number thread just for rock auto! This way we can add what has (only worked) for our suby.

I wont use rock auto simply because i cant find any part ive ever needed on there web site it has to be the worst autoparts store website in history even when they posted a special here on the forum with links i clicked on the link and it went no were it ended up at some sensor or something not breaks like the link sead it was i could not find a break kit to save my life i ended up getting a killer deal on all 4 breaks cross drilled and sloted rotors and ceramic pads made in sothern california off of ebay and it was so easy to find 5 min they were on there way crock auto i spent almost a hour looking for there break kits there adds are starting to piss me off claiming a easy to use website and bla bla bla its just false advertising but now there adds are everywere so i refuse to even look at there site

I didn't crosscheck, it's true, but I don't think I got the wrong part number. It was definitely a Subaru application, but just a weeee bit off on the machining. It doesn't take much to turn a press-fit into a won't-fit. 

As for Rock Auto, I think they're great. They're not necessarily the cheapest on every single thing, but they run some great specials and they tend to have a wider selection of brands for my Brat than most of the big chains. The price you pay is convenience, of course.