Ultimate Subaru Message Board

unibody rust

Hi guys,well my '84 GL just failed inspection due to unibody rust.I believe it can be fixed.does anybody know where I can buy already formed pieces that can be welded replacement parts? Has anyone done this before? I can weld but forming the parts takes the most time.Thanks, T.C.

a lot of people around here just find a shop more conducive to passing it if it fails, even if you do repair it.

could not agree with this more, although not sure how different california or vermont inspection stations are from texas state inspections, but as a state inspector myself at jiffylube, there is so much corruption on them, you have no idea, thats probably why there will no longer be inpections at all starting in 2018 here. i'd recommend going to a gas station with a small garage in the back of it that does state inspections, buy some wipers from them or something, and if they do pass you, make sure to leave the change with them, (few bucks). next time you go in again, and trust me they will remember you, i remember all mine that tipped me afterwards so next time i was more lenient on their vehicles. although im still a state inspector, i am no longer working at a shop so... good luck!

also in texas i can't see the reason you failed last time or even failed at all, it just looks like you've never gotten an inspection, yes it is illegal in texas to continue going to places to see who will pass you, but it just keeps costing you the inpection fee over and over again, till you pass, and theres no way of tracking that you have gone to multiple places.

Edited by Subasaurus

Rocker rust is a little different subject than unibody "frame" rust. They still make rockers and wheel arches for EA82s (the rockers can be trimmed and bent to fit an EA81.) There is nothing preformed available for under the car.

Cutting something from another car is as much of a PIA as just forming your own pieces and rebuilding it yourself, at least in my experience. A lot of the issue stems from moisture getting between the 5 sheets of tin they spot welded together to make a rigid piece. 

If I had it to do over again, I would probably have another car shipped out here from Arizona or the like, opposed to spending countless hours trying to save a rust bucket. 

Good luck!

Dan

between the 5 sheets of tin they spot welded together to make a rigid piece. 

If I had it to do over again, I would probably have another car shipped out here from Arizona or the like, opposed to spending countless hours trying to save a rust bucket. 

well said.  exactly right - panels are easy but getting into all those folds, seams, and bends and layered pieces is a nightmare.  unless you physically strip the entire car down and cut out inordinate amounts of material it's just a never ending project that's never very good, keeps coming back. 

exactly right on point too - getting a rust free body to start with is phenomenal.  i've gotten a few from out west and south and oh my goodness is it worth it.  i can't believe how the bolts come right out!  it's a logistical effort no doubt but in the end you can find a reasonable deal and i have to imagine i've saved more over 10 years than i would dorking around year to year with rust buckets.  

or find a newer car and swap all that EA81 gear into it, LOL!

i'm done with rust.