Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pics of my gen1 brats(more pics & tech )

I couldn't wait any longer to share these!I was gonna save the surprise for WCSS6 .The red '80 is stock other that the wheels,and the '79 is well ...... not stock! :brow:

I believe this to be another first in the suby books,correct me if I'm wrong.My '79 has the most lift for any gen1 , 10 + inches. Plus it has the t/c conversion ,31X10.50 TSL's,2.8 chevy v6 ,d/r 5speed,lincoln locker rear,fuel cell,and ea82 suspension with strut bar mod's.

I notice the red one has a 6-lug conversion done to it or something. Either I'm going blind or loosing my sight or there seems to be 6 lugs on the wheel that is missing the hubcap. Is that right???

Yes your right, I put the sixlug hubs from "The Mule" on so I could run the 15x7 wheels with the 50 series tires.They fit well with no problem,and the offset is that of import trucks.

That lifted Brat is tricked out, WTG :D How was the 10" lift achieved if you could share some more details?

Did you just adapt the bellhousings on the 2.8 V6 / 5spd DR ? How about fuel delivery, FI or carb? How about flywheel/clutch assembly? Just redrilled the flywheel for the V6?

Thx

:slobber:Ultimate Drool!:slobber:

The 79 is exactly what I've been dreaming about. Here in the southeast, Brats are a rarity (well...as is just about everything pre-87 Soob). I fell in love with those goofy quad lights and pushbumper on my 79GL. Thats something I'd like to do.. but a wagon lifted that much wouldnt really look as sweet as yer Brat.

Seeing that Brat gave me a woody that would make Smilin' Bob the Enzyte guy jealous. I want I want.

Nice work! I've been offline for awhile and recently wondered what Lumpycam would do next. Now I can scratch supermodded '79 off my dream project list! Hope I get to see this thing in person...no doubt your attention to detail and inovative engineering are at least as cool as Unhatched. More photos please!

Subframe? Cage? Axle mods?

O.k. the big brat was my spring project.I wanted to lift the red one but was and am still driving it.So I traded some wheels and tires for the blue brat from the local wrecking yard.It took me a month to build it ,including stripping out four car for parts.I used only recylcled metal and used parts,except for the wheels and tsl's I have $100.00 into it.I built this mostly to be a mud racer but with alittle more work it will make a fine trail rig.

The lift is custom made to fit the ea82 suspension to the gen1 body.I moved the front end forward to improve approch angle and fenderwell clearance.The rear was also moved back about 2 inches to center the tire in fender.I hade to cut the innerfenders out of the front so the strut would clear.I installed tubular bracing to stiffen the front frame.I also made a new strutbar which mount at body with a tierod end instead of rubber mnt.One reason for the ea82 suspension was powersteering along with ease of parts.

The nissan t/c is mounted to agle braces welded and bolted to the body.The trans in mounted to the chevy 2.8 v6 with a adapter a had built prior.I use the 2.8 flywheel and cover with a suby disk.I also set the engine and trans back in the body to center the weight and radiator clearance.This required that I made new shifter for the trans since the rear of trans centered the original shifter hole.

The rear end is locked and has 3.90 gears the front end is open.I chose that ratio to get high wheel speed in the mud pits,I will have to go to a lower ratio for offroading.I will also have to put different exuast on as I am running open headers right now.I made the headers from a old set of v8 headers and welded the many peices together.More to come....

Heh.. I'll give ya $450 for it. a 350 dollar profit isnt too bad. :P

Seriously though, that is EXACTLY what I would want. Is it something you'd ever sell?

Sure for the right amount of money I would sell it.Mostly I would need compensation for my labor.There's always another project in the works,but it always requires more money!

Hey I applaud his use of a non-Soob powerplant. Did you just happen to have the Chevy or is that simply the best option for your purposes? Any idea how much the whole thing weighs and how much torque and hp? Are bigger diffs, lockers and axles in the works? Very cool how you moved the front end forward. Excellent work and thanks for sharing the pics etc. Good luck at races!