Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As I have lost my original threads thanks to Photobucket's nonsense, we will start anew. I introduce my 1996 Subaru Legacy LSi, which I have for over a year now. The road to glory has been a good one so far and time will reveal more greatness for this car. 

Here is what was done to my car during the high compression EJ22D project in the past year:

Engine:

EJ20D heads, valves, and valve springs (1997).

EJ25D big plenum manifold (1996 LSi stock). 

EJ25D wiring harness (1996 LSi stock).

EJ253 water pump (2006).

EJ222 block and head gaskets.

EJ205 oil pump (detailed).

EJ257 coolant crosspipe and sensor.

EJ257 timing assembly and extra roller. 

EJ257 oil pan.

EJ257 Moroso oil pickup.

Gates blue teflon belt (DO NOT BUY THESE).

Tomei timing belt guide.

VMS lightweight crank pulley (1lbs). 

Grimmspeed intake manifold spacers w/bolts.

All new seals and bolts.

Self milled heads via sanding.

Lightly ground intake ports. 

Refreshened and seated valves.

4 extra straight pins for head gasket and head security (Str8 mod).

Custom head bolt torque sequence (2lbs tighter on the last 3 rules).

1st generation Subaru Legacy engine cover and brackets.

EGR disable. 

Ignition:

Started with Dodge 420A coil, then upgraded to MSD 8239, then further up to the Accel super coil for the SRT-4. 

Body:

1999 Outback SUS bumper covers, front bumper brace, and grille.

Lights: 

JDM RS front headlights with HID system.

Sequential front turn signal lighting. 

Rear USDM w/VNT red paint. 

Exhaust: Early UEL w/2.5in catback to unknown muffler (we'll call it the Noemi Spec C).

Electronics:

WRX radio.

Raizin voltage stabilizer.

New Sony xPlod rear speakers.

Interior:

1997 Outback SUS Safari woodgrain trim (actual laminated wood). 

Steering:

2004 STi steering rack.

L&E Fabrications steering wheel to rack conversion joint.

Rallitek steering rack poly bushings.

How the car looks today.

RtcnvJG-1.jpg

V6JzppP-1.jpg

0HCrIt7-1.jpg

uI7y1s0-1.jpg

ua837cM-1.jpg

tlIERJb-1.jpg

Not all was well at first. With a dying 25D and long work hours, I had little time to come up with a plan, but it worked out well. Still, we shall start from the beginning with the 1996 Subaru Legacy LSi that I had purchased last year for $500. 

osXqDdc-1.jpg

g6RCT0q-1.jpg

5DekowY-1.jpg

34NK1E9-1.jpg

5EzZUbH-1.jpg

The first mod, a 420A ignition coil, was done. spiced things up some from the diamond coil. 

Vubsoci-1.jpg

Also added a radio when there was none.

imtdkLx-1.jpg

In my quest to improve the car, I aimed at the grille, primarily out of boredom.

1SCE2O2-1.jpg

LJzIRnZ-1.jpg

BmUvuJ8-1.jpg

U9VH8CL-1.jpg

MYfu0D6-1.jpg

RVx7KT9-1.jpg

The completion of the Loyale style grille.

7dSrsKy-1.jpg

Mtufwc9-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sitting sometime during the early winter.

ESe93Iy-1.jpg

Xt1DbIg-1.jpg

lse5SqL-1.jpg

hwlvrat-1.jpg

Addition of the Big 3. 

CWm5TT4-1.jpg

The snow is gone and she finally got plates.

Y9UKdMD-1.jpg

BBysqf6-1.jpg

CMuMffR-1.jpg

kWUOl7s-1.jpg

RcQeKfO-1.jpg

uBAWHZt-1.jpg

ECU hunting and testing.

EAEhS87-1.jpg

K58Zs11-1.jpg

CJsZ0MD-1.jpg

Ran a stock L 2.2 ECU for a bit, as it proved to be the best for running and conserving 87 octane.

rUq7RS3-1.jpg

Enjoying her a little more while I could, but around this time, the original 25D began to die.

4VOpiRa-1.jpg

qfMBEFd-1.jpg

s57bToP-1.jpg

GOYM9lO-1.jpg

OF4UzlI-1.jpg

A 97 Legacy Outback Limited is approached for it's ECU (7X), which later proves to be an awesome instrument. 

FTji6aD-1.jpg

0x1TXSN-1.jpg

Also approached a 420A Eclipse and found a goodie...

eu4G6eY-1.jpg

z2CE9Tj-1.jpg

What I left the boneyard with that day...

wkQviQ4-1.jpg

Shots of a random Legacy GT and my LSi.

Op9KAos-1.jpg

CojuXzS-1.jpg

1ucTdNR-1.jpg

rrga50G-1.jpg

She passed emissions.

3yHLZLi-1.jpg

Got some LED's for the license plate lights.

wn5UsH6-1.jpg

Final snowstorm that the 25D propelled me through before it died.

s3OEHcn-1.jpg

mvwrvNr-1.jpg

A trip to the boneyard yields this nice EJ222 block for about $140. 

vwjmMVx-1.jpg

1diVPG6-1.jpg

jU0vZZM-1.jpg

dD9CP2B-1.jpg

Proceeded to clean up a bit.

IKUv3Ac-1.jpg

8qBLDOl-1.jpg

CelvtE3-1.jpg

5PMiFQj-1.jpg

EJ222 crank gear and stuck sensor.

oTblhj6-1.jpg

SYlr7US-1.jpg

Water pump removed.

gCYYUGO-1.jpg

Broken crank gear sensor.

7Er3lXx-1.jpg

More cleaning.

QZQGtzt-1.jpg

TjZ2GWk-1.jpg

r1pLE7K-1.jpg

dyaiNtp-1.jpg

Ej222 oil pump removal.

csc3mSt-1.jpg

14x94om-1.jpg

7T7hpe2-1.jpg

MSD 8239 coil on and working fine.

Another thing that must be discussed is that the 85 ECU I had earlier was from a '99 Outback. It did not work with me airbag and evap system, and so while it will plug right in and run, it will always throw a check engine light. The 9P ECU is what came in the car and is the prime reason why the manufacturer called for 91+ octane. It sucked at adapting for sure, which is why it was replaced. The 7X was the best ECU as it adapted well and communicated with everything. I am still running it now.

If anyone wanted to know, some Mini Cooper Supercharged ignition coils will also work as viable performance upgrades, as they are 36kv and similar to the MSD 8239. 

0RHzi8N-1.jpg

gT1TccA-1.jpg

Radio and trim upgrade.

MfNkKpQ-1.jpg

sKS9Orr-1.jpg

A good friend's Legacy.

T0emlXF-1.jpg

IefRUXA-1.jpg

9VM8cLd-1.jpg

More straightening up the 222 block.

zdwTQzn-1.jpg

Came home with a goodie (black Outback hood).

UXzuo02-1.jpg

0p6Qp5Q-1.jpg

222 block cleaned up some more with straight pins removed.

eizAaPT-1.jpg

VmDmgcG-1.jpg

More goodies.

77nFNKc-1.jpg

g5v5bpu-1.jpg

vsxt1pi-1.jpg

Stock baffle installed.

iINLeJC-1.jpg

Moroso oil pickup installed.

ngyMm4f-1.jpg

Magnetic oil drain plug.

lwZ94Y5-1.jpg

"Str8" pinning for increased head gasket and head security when torqued.

qPukEoM-1.jpg

GIaKvMo-1.jpg

Detailed EJ205 oil pump with new filter installed and new EJ257 tensioner bracket.

8iOUYJN-1.jpg

Grimmspeed intake manifold spacers, 2006 Legacy thermostat, and 1lbs VMS lightweight crank pulley.

v42J7Ye-1.jpg

Showcase of EJ20D intake port size. 

Ic8NaDx-1.jpg

EJ20D head internal layout is shim over, if anyone was wondering.

drQJpDH-1.jpg

Str8 pin meets 222 head gasket.

MwielkQ-1.jpg

EJ20 turbo water pump vs N/A 2006 Legacy water pump.

BBXOFjb-1.jpg

Passenger side head and STi roller kit installed and torqued down.

fPMjHNZ-1.jpg

Driver side of the block awaiting head.

XHTWAPh-1.jpg

Head installed and belt mock. 

KLcJ5I6-1.jpg

22D is almost ready.

CaGFGBq-1.jpg

hokGekh-1.jpg

CSPINt1-1.jpg

odekVYd-1.jpg

5k23CBW-1.jpg

Secondary power steering bracket doesn't line up with the bolt hole with the 257 crosspipe, so I removed it. everything now fits perfectly.

Skip a little past the installation as I lost those pics permanently. The EJ22D is installed and pulling hard for an EJ22. At this point, I had not discovered the power level and so was just enjoying the engine for what it is. The Legacy itself had gone through a few changes. 

XJekDnzpng-1.jpg

JfnYZDtpng-1.jpg

MeJgUhrpng-1.jpg

c4WGhnppng-1.jpg

Y5YuFdRpng-1.jpg

f6b6E8Dpng-1.jpg

mi75ctbpng-1.jpg

NtlZAkPpng-1.jpg

upMn21A-1.jpg

4TckzN7-1.jpg

Update: 

The Accel coil continues to do well. For the money, it seems to be an even better bargain than the MSD 8239, but there is a catch and I will find it.

Overall feel of the car is balanced and I am certain that I would give any stock 3rd gen Legacy with an EZ30D a great challenge above 3500rpm. 

The project shall continue, as my next move will be to update the intake into something a hell of a lot better. I have reached the limit of the intake pipe when it comes to turbulence.

I will also beef up the fuel system a bit to bring in fuel where it is needed so I won't run that lean on the top. 

Edited by DOHCEJ22E

Project Esperanza Log:

The rear end began to pull yesterday, and so I performed the "dime" test, which yielded the rear tires being low in depth and tread. To prevent center differential damage, a 10a fuse was put into the FWD fuse slot and now, I am driving around in FWD mode until I can get new rear tires with my check this Friday. 

However, though the strain was greatly lessened, I still felt a smidge of pull and inspected the rear diff to find that it is slowly leaking at the drain plug. I will inspect further in the morning to see what the issue is. There is no wheel bearing damage or play, but the right side wheel provides significant resistance compared to the left.

I will also note that in FWD mode, the power delivery is exceptional, and I have even lesser difficulty at all getting up to high speed. 90mph comes up surprisingly and fuel economy is better +3mpg city and +2mpg hwy. I will likely convert the FWD fuse into a toggle switch as I have done so many others to have that extra modicum of control.

The plan next is to create an advanced intake of some kind to bring even more air in on the low after I solve the rear differential issue, and following that will be as many fuel mods as I can pull off to get this engine at it's maximum on the stock ECU before I eventually get a good piggyback for tuning.

Edited by DOHCEJ22E

nice work on the vehicle.  if you want this to remain a "build thread" you might want to post specific questions/topics about your current issue in another thread. 

subaru rear diff failure is exceptionally rare.  most people who replace a rear diff end up still having the same issue, so investigate closely.

AWD vehicles still have all the additional weight of the transmission, driveshaft, carrier assembly, rear diff, rear cross member, rear axles and hubs and rotational drag as well, none of that disappears with a fuse so the fuse typically doesn't improve fuel mileage.  more likely to be caused by an artifact of your current mechanical issue, change in driving habits (which often occurs when interested people install a fuse or have mechanical issues/concerns), or wanting better gas mileage "suspicion often creates what is suspects".

nice work on the vehicle.  if you want this to remain a "build thread" you might want to post specific questions/topics about your current issue in another thread. 

subaru rear diff failure is exceptionally rare.  most people who replace a rear diff end up still having the same issue, so investigate closely.

AWD vehicles still have all the additional weight of the transmission, driveshaft, carrier assembly, rear diff, rear cross member, rear axles and hubs and rotational drag as well, none of that disappears with a fuse so the fuse typically doesn't improve fuel mileage.  more likely to be caused by an artifact of your current mechanical issue, change in driving habits (which often occurs when interested people install a fuse or have mechanical issues/concerns), or wanting better gas mileage "suspicion often creates what is suspects".

Thank you. As for the rear diff, I changed the fluid again and all is now well. Drag was surprisingly minimal 

As for the mpg rating, I drive at the same speed I usually do & the scan tool I use picked up a change in mpg.

There is more when the FWD switch is on. Nothing too significant, but it is there. 

The AWD may be disabled, but the torque produced by the front wheels is a bit higher, which makes high speed pulling much easier. 

I will have to log it next time, although there IS a chance the ECU will catch onto this and change again. 

Edited by DOHCEJ22E

There is more when the FWD switch is on. Nothing too significant, but it is there. 

The AWD may be disabled, but the torque produced by the front wheels is a bit higher, which makes high speed pulling much easier. 

I will have to log it next time, although there IS a chance the ECU will catch onto this and change again. 

Gotcha. Maybe certain conditions amplify it.  I had the FWD fuse in my automatic recently on a 65 mph long distance drive and got 28.5 which is really high for an automatic XT6.  Previously I've never seen any difference, as have few others.  You also have quite a different motor so that might change things too. 

Looks like about 150 hp - how does that compare to what a stock EJ22 would show on that same test/set up?  

Did you use EJ20 heads for compression, flow, or both? 

Gotcha. Maybe certain conditions amplify it.  I had the FWD fuse in my automatic recently on a 65 mph long distance drive and got 28.5 which is really high for an automatic XT6.  Previously I've never seen any difference, as have few others.  You also have quite a different motor so that might change things too. 

Looks like about 150 hp - how does that compare to what a stock EJ22 would show on that same test/set up?  

Did you use EJ20 heads for compression, flow, or both? 

That's a pretty good estimate! She put down 153awhp on a dyno a stock EJ22E has put 87awhp on. 

I used the EJ20D heads because for compression, flow, and rarity, although it is more than safe to say that EJ25D heads have this same potential, considering they have the same chambers and the compression ratio will also be 10.6:1 with those heads. They just need to have the ports opened up (either port matching or funnel porting) and slightly hotter intake cams. 

Nice build, thanks for sharing.  I will say that currently I like the look of your buddy's wagon .

Thank you, and you're welcome. He just got a '99 Outback, so the plan is to put the 22D+T powertrain in his current '98 L into it while an EJ225 hybrid is built for the L.