Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Cable snapped!

Hi guys,

I am kind new here. 

I bought a '86 Brat about a month ago and been driving the car until 2 days ago. The clutch cable broke right in front of my house gate. 

Yes, I am super lucky that did not happen on the freeways!!!

Anyways, my weekend project is to change the clutch cable. It seems to be easy to access but noticed there are several options for length of the cable when I checked my local parts store website. The cable is still in the car so I don't know the exact elngth.

So what's the stock length or your recommended brand or lengh????

Please let me know.

Thanks,

BK914

Wow they’re that bad? The cable snaps or something else?

I’ve only replaced one, never had issues

but mostly long distance trips and only a couple years before I sold it.

I ignored the repeated warnings against using an aftermarket clutch cable and bought one anyway because I'm a cheapskate by nature. 

Routed it right, adjusted it right, and never could get it to work right. Others have had failures, I didn't leave it in long enough for it to get that far. 

Dan

And those aftermarket types often come with an end that is too big etc.

Check your routing as mentioned !

And also check that your pedal box isn't cracked on the drivers side of it where the pivot pin is for the clutch pedal. That's a problem the previous generation had.

so I took the cable off the truck and found out the cable was broken at the swaged point of the pedal. 

Now I have a problem taking the clevis pin off.

There is not enough space for the pin to slide out. 

A snap ring of the pedal shaft is very tight and has a large diameter. 

How do you guys take it off?

Thanks,

BK914 :)

Yeah, absolute bastard of a job whether left or right hand drive that spring clip.

My sneaky fix for this and it takes the next time to really be proud of self for doing it - is I get a pin from a wreck but from the brake pedal to brake masters push rod, the one that goes through the brake pedal with the extra safety of a plastic nylon safety clip as well as clevis pin. Absolute bliss next time you do anything at clutch cable pedal area. I break off the extra safety clip and never use for brakes again. I also use same clip on the hi lo selcector of EA82 five speed boxes, so much easier to disconnect when time needed.

It is the fit that gave me the grief of after market cable