Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aussie Locker in the works, need info for production

J_Jones

Hello all. I have a 2005 Forester 2.5x that I would love to get a rear locker into and as such, have contacted two companies in an attempt to get that going: Aussie Locker and Lock Rite. Couldn't find contact info for Spartan. I got my first response back from the makers of the Aussie Locker, TorqMasters.com and they had a few questions that I hope you all can assist me in giving the correct info.

My message:
Hello. I was wondering if you all plan to or currently have anything in the works for Subarus? Specifically the R160 rear differential found in almost every Subaru since the early 90's (Not the r180 found in STI's, they have enough options). I know there is a high demand for something in the Subaru community and couldn't see why the venture wouldn't result in a profit. There is basically nothing available for the r160 besides the OEM optional VLSD that to be honest, is useless offroad.

Their reply:
We looked into center diff spools. I think you would have to lock the center diff to get a rear locker to work? We are not Subaru experts, so your input is appreciated.

My reply:

While a locker option for the center differential would also be nice, it isn't necessary for the rear locker to work. Manual transmission equipped Subaru's have a viscous limited slip in the center differential that give 50:50 front:rear torque distribution all the time and adjusts as needed. Automatics have either a multi-plate transfer clutch or variable torque distribution system which both vary in how much torque is sent to the rear but we have found a way of locking them with a flip of a switch so that is no longer an issue: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/4wd-demand-4eat-3091/

Sorry for the long reply but short answer is yes, a rear locker will definitely be beneficial in any drivetrain configuration, even without modifying the center differential.

Their reply:

Thank you for the explanation, very helpful! Our Aussie Locker is popular in Sweden with rally Volvo's, we know they can hold up to the turbo cars well. To make a prototype we will need a rear differential and part of the axle shaft that slides into the diff. Can you tell me fitment? Which years this diff was used? I can source a local diff from a junk yard.

So that is where I am. Turns out, the person that is responding to my emails is the president of the company and sounds interested. Anyone confident in their knowledge to answer this question? I'm guessing here, but I think that they would need to source a standard open differential and associated axle. From pictures of the open vs VLSD
and my experience, the VLSD would not be a good choice due to 1. the vlsd portion itself could cause issues and 2. the open differential has a much larger opening to the spider gears in comparison to the VLSD and that is how you get these type of lockers in.

Sorry for the long first post but I figured you all may be interested in this.  Any info is greatly appreciated. Would love for this to actually happen.

There aren't any lockers for the r160 but a few alternatives are available. I have Quaife helical diffs f/r, and some Subaru owners have plated diffs (Kaaz, Cusco). Few other makes are on the market as well.

A rear locker on a 5mt is nearly useless because the center viscous diff is not strong enough. But you can upgrade with a DCCD. The best option for the 4eat is to upgrade the MPT for a VTD.

"Rally" on offroadsubarus.com is actually trying to fit a rear locker in his Forester

http://offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=97910&postcount=404

Lincon makes a very reliable locker its just not selectable i love mine it cost me all of about $5 but on a ej car the center diff makes it useless once that front tire starts spinning its over and besides there to heavy and dont do very good off road with out alot of work

I've seen the AP suretrac and it's not a good option since both wheels need to be loaded for it to work > that's an issue offroad. The KAAZ and Cusco are $$$. Lincoln locker is cheap and what I have in my Volvo rallyx car, but not what I want on a car I drive on the street as well.

Seeing as I have the 4eat transmission and can lock it with a flip of a switch, this Aussie locker would be awesome.

Back to the question though, from everything I have been able to find out so far, Subaru r160's are able to swap differentials from one to another without issue. While there are some external differences and axle differences, I should be able to take an open differential from any subaru with an r160, install the Aussie Locker in it, and then swap it into my car's original housing and adapt axles if necessary. Is this correct?  Basically, the manufacturer is wanting to make sure that this part works for many cars, with some work of course. 

Thanks all.

I would suggest they use a diff from anything 95+

Something with the stubs on the axles that slide into the diff.

Trying to make it for the older, (more popular for wheeling) hollow stub, male diffs would be more complex, since the spiders have to have threads for the bolt in stub.  Hence the hollow stubs.  Which are the biggest issue for subarus offroad.

It would be great for any older locked 4wd, or any newer AWD automatic.  It would work well on the 5mt AWD also, just won't help with front tire lift.  But if you can keep the front grabbing, the back will push from both wheels no mater how much traction.

I would be VERY intersted in 2 of these in 4.44 for my next T-case build (82 GL sedan)

I would suggest they use a diff from anything 95+

Something with the stubs on the axles that slide into the diff.

Trying to make it for the older, (more popular for wheeling) hollow stub, male diffs would be more complex, since the spiders have to have threads for the bolt in stub.  Hence the hollow stubs.  Which are the biggest issue for subarus offroad.

It would be great for any older locked 4wd, or any newer AWD automatic.  It would work well on the 5mt AWD also, just won't help with front tire lift.  But if you can keep the front grabbing, the back will push from both wheels no mater how much traction.

I would be VERY intersted in 2 of these in 4.44 for my next T-case build (82 GL sedan)

Very good info, thank you. Is it not a huge project to swap a newer rear into the older vehicles? I'm sure the manufacturer would appreciate hearing that the product will be an option for the older vehicles as well, although a little more work on the the customers end.

Are the axle cups interchangeable? As in swapping from a stub axle female cup to the later style male cups. Or do the axles have the same spline count for the inner C.V. race?

90-94 legacy have a star race that will fit EA axles.

95-99 legacy rears the same size and type joint, with stub attached to cup, but their star race is finer splines.

So..........

you can use 96-99 cups with 90-94 legacy innard (cage, balls, star race)

That combo can be swapped onto old EA series rear axles.

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1