Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Backstory:  I'm dead set on putting Grabber AT2 235/75-15's on the subacabra. I guess it's too early in the game to call her that just yet.  Doris is what I meant. Virgin White 95 Leggy brighton wagon. 

So just for kicks I pulled off the tires from my 79 C10 Bonanza and tried to test fit em on ol girl.  I bought some 5x100 to chevy 5x5 1" adapters because I'm too lazy to source some yota wheels and redrill em, and I wanted "new and sexy" anyway and the wheels they sell online looked like dog rump roast in anything but 5x5.  Everything in 5x100 is all tuner rice.   Sooo.... I've got my eye on some 15x7 American Racing wheels with a -6 offset.  Picture for sexy time.  http://www.americanracing.com/wheelSpecs/1945/275/20340/ar172-baja

I put the adapters on and went to put the truck tires on and ran into the tire hitting the front most corner of the rear fender, by the passenger rear door.  So much that it prevents the lug studs from lining up with the wheel.   

So here in lies the question.  Aside from a 2 to 4 inch strut lift, to even fit the damn meats in that well, I need adjustment.  What can I do to pull the tire more towards the center of the well(towards the rear)?

• Like 1

So here in lies the question.  Aside from a 2 to 4 inch strut lift, to even fit the damn meats in that well, I need adjustment.  What can I do to pull the tire more towards the center of the well(towards the rear)?

You don't.  you could make a longer trailing arm, but then your transverse links would be like this  /  /  rather than like this  l  l  No way without moving the ENTIRE rear suspension.

Everyone that runs tires that size on an EJ car ends up trimming or hammering a bit.

I would suggest you need a set of 96-99 outback struts, and the trailing arm mounts for the same outback.  then a tiny bit of trim at the front of the wheel arch.  even then a 29" tire is gonna be tight.   you probably will also need a full 2"-4" of full strut top/blocked down lift to clear them well.

Redrilled toyota wheels is only for old-gen 4-lug subarus. Disregard that for your car.

I guess you're in the right direction, going from a -69.8mm offset package in your original post to a -31.4. That's still 86.4mm (3.4 inches) from stock.

What struts are you running? With stock offset you'll need Forester or Outback struts to clear a tire that tall. The offset difference does simplify strut clearance, but it massively complicates body clearance. Specifically the front fender while turning (lots of extra scrub radius).

I'm running 01 forester monroe quick struts front & rear.  I put outback end link mounts in the back, thinking I needed them, but I should've grabbed the TA mounts instead. Right?

I have a set of 5x100 to 5x5 25mm adapters to go with the wheels, which are -6 offset. That's where the offset I mentioned earlier comes from...

Ok, let's make this simple for everyone...

What is the biggest tire I can fit on a 95 legacy wagon, with a -31 offset, and just forester struts/springs, trimming and bashing included, that the front tires won't rub the inside when turning, and won't contact the spring perch?

And how about with a 2 inch SJR lift kit?
And with a 4 inch SJR lift?