Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Legacy wagon delayed start, not slow crank

My 2001 legacy wagon (not Outback) has been doing something weird for some time now.

On some, but not all cold starts, there is a lag of a second or two (sometimes 5-8 seconds) from when the key is turned to start the engine and when the starter starts cranking.

The first time this happened, I thought it was a dead battery, because I didn't keep the key turned longer than normal. I hooked up a jump and it started.  

Then after this happened more frequently, I realized what is going on and just waited longer than usual with the key turned to start.

Seems to do this more when the weather is cold outside.  After the engine is warm, it starts right up with no delay.

To be clear, when this problem happens, the key is turned and the engine doesn't start right away, there is no sound at all, no clicking from the starter, etc.  Once it does start to crank, it is strong and the engine starts right up.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Keith

My guess would be the trans switch (try sometimes in N) if an auto, clutch switch if a manual, or the starter solenoid just getting stuck/binding a bit.

My H6 outback would do this once in awhile, never had to replace the starter, but I'm a gamblin' man.

The starter motor proper does not get power until the solenoid connects the gear, at that point the contacts close to give the starter motor itself power.

never thought of the plunger getting hung-up - that would explain why he doesn't hear a click.

maybe try the 'whack-starter-with-a-piece-of-2x4' trick when it's cold and you feel certain it would fail. If it started immediately when trying that half a dozen times, I'd feel confident a solenoid rebuild would fix it. Even if it doesn't, then,  HEY, rebuilt solenoid!  (shouldn't be expensive)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't gotten this fixed yet.  Now, I am noticing that there is a "click" happening.  Yesterday, the car wouldn't start for about a minute of turning the key, and I was hearing a click each time I released the key.  I whacked the starter a few times while my wife turned the key and it started.  So, are we thinking starter?  The elec. connections at the starter are not corroded at all.

Keith

new contacts and maybe plunger in the solenoid - many folks get them and DIY . cheapest approach. I think there are a coupla youtube videos too.

another option, take the starter to a local shop and pay them to rebuild the solenoid.

riskiest is a typical rebuilt starter from a parts store, but, probably less risk than some other items like alternators and axles.

I have a couple of used starters in my parts collection if you want to PM me  and we  can work it out cost and shipping with you.  They are both for an automatic though and I think it matters.

Edited by 3Pin