Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommend a jack for my needs.

I am looking for a jack to do an occasional brake job on my 11 & 16 Forester's.  My old floor jack only goes up about 13", which works for a sedan but not an SUV.  I prefer to have something separate than the jack provided by Subaru.  It looks like Harbor Freight has the best selection for my needs.  There is a 2 ton floor jack.  Obviously, I do not need or want low profile for these cars.

Thanks.

Edited by nitroman58

I bought a Big Red brand 4ton floor jack about 7 years ago and it sits outside in the weather and still works great. I wanna say it was $80 when I bought it. Often parts stores will have sales buy a floor jack and get a set of jack stands 1/2 off, or sometimes free.

Buy something that will lift at least 18", and buy a set of at least 3 tons rated stands. Never work on or under a vehicle that's held up only by a jack.

I've had a Big Red Aluminum "Race" jack for years. I love how light it is, which was really important before I had a garage because it was constantly getting loaded into a car, or carried into the shed. It only goes about 18" up, but with a chunk or 2 of 2x4 between it and the car it works on our Outback and even my lifted 4Runner.

Now that I have a garage, and a heavier steel jack would be acceptable since I don't have to move it as much. I've had my eye on this one from Harbor Freight , Looks like it's fairly well made, and lifts up to just under 24".

And yes, of course, always use jack stands when working under the car.

Which is why I posted one that goes to 23.75"

agreed - i meant to say earlier i'd look for 20"as a minimum - or more and lean towards more if you can get it. i use blocks enough on mine that i'd definitely be going higher next one i get. you'll never regret the extra distance.

Edited by idosubaru

as numbchux said.. never jack at the tow hooks...

always use the center cross member in the front (just behind the oil pan), or the pumpkin in the rear..

not exactly sure what the lift height on ours is, but it is at least 18-20 inches... More than sufficient for jacking up the Outback and the Forester...

a bit more limited use on the full size 4x4 pickup, which is pretty tall already, but it does work for lifting it up enough to get a wheel off.

I've been using this one for 4 years, and it works very well.  The low profile isn't needed for my Subarus, the the long reach is very useful for lifting under the diff - you cant get much swing to pump up a low car like the '02 LGT wagon; it's not as much of an issue with the 5th-gen OB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G83T16/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

• 2 weeks later...