Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I’m new here and I need some guidance on my recent decision to swap my race car motor. I currently have and ej22 sohc with a cable actuated Manual transmission. I want to swap that motor with and 2005 ej25 sohc motorwith a m/t and also with a hydraulic clutch system, which the 2005 m/t has. I’m asking if all I need is a wiring harness for the ej25 M/T, the actual ej25 motor,and a ej25 manual transmission. Is this the correct path or do I need some adjustments.

• Like 1

2005 engine is a drive by wire motor. No physical connection with your foot.  You would need the throttle pedal assembly as well as the ecu and harness.   2004 back non calf. 2.5 sohc engines have a real throttle cable on them.

Edited by montana tom
  • Like 1

I'll add a tangent here as I don't know much about the '05+ and swapping to older stuff.

"Assuming" your '93 is stock.>>>>>>

My first question - and no offense - how many of these have you done?

I noted it's a race  car, so downtime isn't as big an issue as a DD, but expect it take "Twice as long and Cost Twice as much" as you think. 

Something to make your life much easier  - possibly  - is to put those '93 2.2 heads on the 2.5 block - 'Frankenstein' Hi-Compression  engine....w/out all the harness mess. Probably more torque than the stock 2.5. The '96-'99 EJ25D would also be easier to make work....but it's not a very well-loved engine 'round here.

Otherwise, I'd turbo the '93 2.2 (but that may change your Race class??), also easier than the '05 2.5 swap (IMHO).

Edited by wtdash

You can drop the “SOHC” as that’s meaningless for subarus. You can install DOHC engines and heads in your current vehicle withiut changing the ECU for instance. Year/engine/vehicle is what matters here.

05+ are drive by wire.

You want to avoid models with immoblizers. I’m not sure when they start but it’s 2005 or shortly afterward I thought.

In general yes it’s just as you said - ECU, wiring harness and engine gives you everything that runs the engine except drive by wire and immobilizer.

For the transmission:

You may be going from a 3.9 rear diff to a 4.11 so you’ll also need the matching rear differential if you’re changing final drive ratios.

I’m not sure if 1993 rear axles install in 2005+ rear diffs.

The transmission axles also changed in 2005 so you’ll need axles as well and I’m not sure if they install in your existing hubs or not as 2005’s also start bolt on wheel bearings. So you might need knuckles as well or try to Frankenstein some axles.

I think The rear driveshaft length is also different in Phase II transmissions so you’ll need the driveshaft or have yours shortened (or lengthened)?

If you get a 2004 model then your axles slide right onto the transmission. They change in 2005.

^Yep...that's the 'beauty' of this combo...keeps the electronics the same....and Yes, everything stays the same.  YOU MUST RUN PREMIUM as your CR will be 10:1+. Read up some more on the the 'franken-motor' as I've not done it (yet), but it's not a new idea. You might need a COMETIC HG due the difference in water/oil jackets, but they actually sell one for just this hybrid.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash

EJ to EJ...all day...meaning, you can connect them*. Note the 2005 has the extra mounting  points...just use those that match up to your old 5-speed....and read up on the Starter. I get confused about which way (new<>old) requires a mod to mount the starter.

And put in a HD clutch, but from what I've read don't overdo it. You want the clutch to fail b4 the more expensive trans.

*Physically. Electrically it depends on the year - remember there is a Phase 1 to Phase 2 transition in '99, which is why the '93 ECU, harness, etc. won't run the 2005 stuff.

Edited by wtdash

EJ blocks are interchangeable.

You just swap blocks, you’re not changing anything at all but the block and headgaskets (to match the block). That’s it - there are no questions to ask it’s that simple.

Literally everything else stays the same. If you have a question then don’t ask it because you’re making it up, its a nonissue. No need to ask about EJ25 ECU or trans or front seats or tail lights or windshield wipers...etc.

Right now I have a stage 3 racing clutch. And have ran 60 laps on it. Do I need to go down? And what’s the issue with the starter

in this case, no issue.  Your 93 trans uses one bell belt, and one stud in the trans for starter.  This will all stay the same for you.

There can be issues using newer MT trans on older engines.  Newer trans the lower starter bolt is one of the 8 bell bolts, but the old blocks don't have that hole.  So you would need to install a stud into the trans or otherwise modify.

There are no issues with bolting it up.

The 2.2 heads are restrictive and won't rev to where the 2.5 will still make power. It will have good low end but the cam profile is not ideal and the heads just don't flow well. Also you will be limited to the 2.2 RPM red line as well as zero ability to tune the computer. You should be able to flash tune the 05 computer with the right ROM defs. If you have everything you can send both harnesses to iWire and have it merged so it will all be plug and play for the engine. You can run any manual you want including an STi 6 speed with the right parts and pieces. Bolting it up will not be a problem, but if you stick with the 2.2 heads you will be severely limiting what that engine could do for you. The newer heads flow much better, and have a better valve train. Custom cams could be ground, etc.

The early 2.2 computers are junk for performance - they can't be tuned, the induction parts and sensors are going out of availability, and they deal very poorly with camshaft changes. 

GD