Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sometimes you just get lucky i guess (1978 GF)

gfdan

so i spotted this car in a farmers field a while back and tracked down the owner who sold it to me for $300. hadnt moved in 20 years, was covered in moss, and sitting on 4 flat tires. I towed it home and pressure washed it, drained the old fuel, checeked the plugs, added new fuel and started it up. Honestly, if youve never driven one of these cars, you have no idea what youre missing! too bad me and a handfull of other people have the only ones left!

Nice hit!

How does it sit in a field and not rust? Does that only happen if rust has already set in?

I guess I’ve got a couple that have been sitting for 14 years.... what the smokes I need to do something about that I’ve meber thought about it like that. I’m *that farmer*.

i guess the story behind it is that the lady who owned it originall was obsessed with washing it every day so it was well taken care of but it did have rust in a few spots. however, there was only a couple spots where the rust went all the way through and they were only about as big around as a pencil. so i found it just in time! i took a grinder to all the rust spots then sealed and bondoed them back smooth. it had a vinyl top at one time which caused the most rust damage (as it deteriorated and then held debri and moisture). i settled with spraying it with truck bed liner (the black you see in the pictures) which has the look of vinyl but hopefully much better protection. and im not sure if they came like this or not but the inner wheel wells and under carriage of the car had all been heavily undercoated prior to me owning it (thank goodness!) maybe from the dealership. i think i have some before pics ill post em

• Like 1