Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Outback Heat, Defrost Dashboard Controls

Hello,

I really hate getting blasted with the heat through the  Dash vents.....

None of the controls work....    The one defrost button does send power to the AC compressor(I heard that go on once)

But yeah, how to I get it so the  heat goes to your feet or  heat goes to the windshield

( I will be needing to send heat to the windshield soon It is getting wintery soon)

Thanks, Micky

Not really sure if the problem is at the controls.......

I thought perhaps.......   this may be a popular(COMMON)  problem.....  that  others have had to address...

Has anyone out there have/has problems with  the heat controls???????

Even if you can just explain the functionality of how it works... that would be greatly appreciated.....

It seems electrical......  but,,,,,   how does the system  actuate the  flaps????? (for directing the air flow)

+1 on controls getting gummed up. Using the cup holder, puts any drink spills right into the buttons on the climate control. Sugar from soft drinks really gums up the works. On wife's 98 OBW, I repeatedly freed up stuck buttons with windex, wiped away with paper towels. After a while that didn't work, got a replacement from a yard. Pretty easy to install. I have seen replacement units on ebay. I think replacing the unit is prolly the best way to go, if cleaning doesn't work.

Dig it!

Yeah, that stupid cup holder.......  My cupholder was disgusting....

I will give it a whirl

How does the control unit pop out???

Been a while since I have replaced mine, so my memory is fuzzy on particulars. I do remember removing trim pieces around the climate control and radio. You may have to remove the ash tray to gain access to the trim piece screws, but can't quite remember. Once trim removed, there are 4 screws you remove to be able to pull out the climate control unit. The thermostat cable/wire unclips  for complete removal.