Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old gas smell 92 Legacy sedan

Car has been ours for at least a year and a half plus.

Original owner let it sit after typical light use. Then a young guy got his hands on it and you could tell he pulled it out of vegetation and also didn't know jack dook about the car.

But his buddy helped him and this same guy acted as his agent and dealt with me , he told me how they were chasing fuel issues etc.

When we got it home I went through the fuel pump and replaced it and generally checked the pickup and float etc. This because the car with half a tank or less would sometimes want to stall.

But that was all many months ago.

So what could be causing an old gas smell now? Canister ? To me it seems to be more stronger in smell from around the drivers side of the engine bay up closer to the windshield.

Checked those lines feeding and returning and breathing and they all seem fine.

Aged gasoline odor.

Sits sometimes lately , say the last 3 months was used about 10 days worth of daily type driving and a few random short runs.

My opening line refers to term of ownership.

About a year and a half or so. It was driven daily until springtime this year.

If your not using it as a daily driver.

Consider  throw fuel stabilizer in it.....

and Don't know where you are parking it? but, if it is in the sun.....  that is not good....

and then if it is under trees then you want to be concerned of other things.(not sure of your locale)

I often wonder,  if when vehicle has had gas go bad previously in it... if there is an accelerated likely hood of it happening again....

I would run the tank down to near empty if you can...... and then put like a gallon in it...

and run that down..... do that a couple of times....  and then decide how much gas you want to put in the tank

and put in the proper amount of fuel stabilizer.....

NOW,,,,, if you happen to live where you can get   91 octane that has no  Alcohol in it......... just

exclusively use that fuel........(but use up the other gas.... then do gallon thing with  the 91) no stabilizer

Yeah I actually have replaced those. And have a new one waiting in case.

But that’s not the issue , or I’d not be able to fill the tank.

It’s an old stale fuel smell. Not a new fresh gas smell.

It’s most noticeable around the front of the car by the drivers side.

just gonna throw this out there... fuel filter?

that sits on the drivers side in the engine bay... just a thought

yeah, I had to go through a few fuel connections last winter to stop a smell from under the hood on our 03. Never really saw any fuel and will be monitoring the car again this winter but, 'something' I tighened helped last winter. Just used a straight and an 'offset' philips screwdriver and 10-15 minutes. Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Just found my leaking fuel line on my 2000 OBS yesterday at the gas station.  

Short 2" section under the main fuel line connection on the engine.  I'll replace it today.  

I've been looking for a couple of weeks.  Finally saw the wet hose.