Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT shifter kart under way

I got the body paid for from McBrat and the pickup to get it to my place is in the works. I have been working on accumulating the parts for the build, and starting to work on the layout. When I get the body I can do allot more for the chassis fab. The tires showed up yesterday and they are nuts. Big fat wide and soft. For those of you who don't know already, I am building a 250cc shifter kart for a BRAT go kart body. Not for racing, I wouldn't risk the body, just for fun.

kart1.jpg

kart2.jpg

Looks cool so far!

Are those three lug wheels?

I thought Renault was the only three lug pattern?

What are the finished dimensions of your cart going to be?

Is there any links for this type of cart?

Post Pics when you have them!

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Sweet! What are your plans for the powerlant? Ever kick around the idea of building an offroad cart? Knobbys, some clearance maybe even 4WD. Might be able to reconfigure a 4 wheeler into kind of a "mini me" for the big blue beast.:brow: A Brat cart that flat out hauls would be cool too. Keep us posted!

I thought about it, I really did. I was kicking around the idea of mating it with a banshee or other high performance 4 wheeler. It would be fun but the body is just too rare to flip and bang around. And ultimatly just for playing around, the shifter kart is going to offer better performance. The motor will be a 250cc 5spd cycle engine.

Why go with a 250, i've got an old 78 honda 400 that would really make that thing haul. Great idea, it would be an awsome compliment to your beast.

A 250cc two stroke motorcycle motor would most likely put out MUCH more power than a 78 honda 400 motor...

But why stop at 250? I've got sources on where to find 500cc Two strokes as well as current 600/1000cc sportbike motors/tranny's! :eek C'mon... if it's "for fun" you can't tell me 100+ RWHP and under 400 lbs. wouldn't be fun! :)

Moosens, I shot you an email about two weeks ago. I should have a concrete route by the first of next week.

As for 400-800-1000cc, I am already doubeling the standard so I feel OK in what I have chosen. I feel unnatural saying "no that's too much" but bottom line is there is a size limit.

250cc's is already more than enough to make that thing haul some serious *****. Let's not be ridiculous guys. I am sure scott will build something really cool, kick back and let him do his thing. If you guys want, you could build your own. (Then race em at the next meet n greet)