Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t in place of ea82T?

Has anybody put an ea81T in place of an ea82T engine?

I like the XT but I like the pushrod engine and not having timing belts more than the ea82T. I was thinking somebody I would get one with blown engine and put the pushrod block in with the ea82T intake, turbo, crossover and downpipe still.

i had the opposite idea, to use an ea82 in an ea81t. what year? if the xt is an 86, i think it would be a close match component wise, if not all plug and play. but the 85-86 mpfi turbo is pretty much the same thing as ea81 mpfi turbo, from what i gather

but i have put ea81 in ea82 body using ea82 components, so that is where my expertise may help you the most

I don't see why not, since the ECU has nothing to do with the ignition timing like the EJ series engines, it should work, and if you could put the EA82T intake with the wiring harness on the EA81T engine, that should keep you from having to change the ECU also. Sounds like a great project, go for it.

corky, dont forget ea81t sigle port (injectors in head) vs ea82t dual port(injectors in manifold) . you could possibly swap the ea82 wiring harness, throttle body to the ea81 manifold, and plug it in to the existing injectors(are the same), using the existing fuel rail.

i believe shadow should know something about the cross-compatability with these 2 engines.

you should also get away with using the existing ea82 ps/alt/ace components on the ea81t block

If it's a pre hot wire system, it's all Plug and Pray, uh, I mean Play. I'm actually useing a bunch of the EA82T's stuff on mine, to include the VAM, knock sensor, injectors, and tps. All the same components. Seeing as how Subaru really hates to reinvent stuff once they got it going, I doubt that the computers are even different between the two. The EA81T should swap right into the XT with the only mods that you would have to do is mate the engine to the tranny. That is going with the idea that it is a pre-87. Post 87 would be a littler more interesting, as you would need to mod the EA82 dizzy to fit the EA81 block, not too hard, has been done before. Other than that, the rest should plug into the engine just fine. Go for it dude!

Bummer, I thought the EA81T have dual intake ports like the EA82T does. I've only seen one in person, and I could have sworn it looked just like the EA82T intake did. OK, so where do those dual intake ports EA81 heads come from??

If you go to the Sub4 web site and look for the USA distributor, they only show RAM as the single source, but when you go to the RAM site, they never mention the Sub4 heads, infact they have their own version of a dual intake port head.