Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering problem on '93 Legacy

Hey all, I have a '93 Turbo Legacy. EJ22t, 5-spd AWD. I'm starting to notice slight problems with my power steering system.

When the car gets all warmed up (say after my long commute to work), the power steering pump gets very whiney from about 900rpm to about 2,000rpm. My other car is a Ford, so I'm used to whiney sounding power steering pumps.

Lately, the problem has gotten a bit worse. Whenever I'm in a parking lot, my car has a noisy PS pump, and when I turn I can feel the steering wheel vibrate a little (I can almost feel the PS pump laboring away).

And even worse, occasionally the wheel shudders when I turn at very slow speeds, or almost stopped.

I checked the fluid, and it looks fine. The belt also appears fine. What do you guys think the problem could be?

Last time I had symptoms, I too thought the fluid "looked fine" but in reality, the fluid level was low! I'm not sure how the reservoir is set up but it took a fair amount of Dextron to top it off. Symptoms gone.

The fluid level is way up there, in fact it might be a hair too full, but not sure.

I'll try checking the pulley to see if it spins without any "slop".