Ultimate Subaru Message Board

key broke off in loyale ingition!

I went to start my 1993 loyale 5 speed wagon and the key snapped right off in the ignition! thank God it was in front of my house. None the less this is a shame and I need to be able to start my car.

If anyone can give me advise on how to get this broken key out I would really appreciate it, (I have a spare key, so if I could get the old one out I would be in good shape.)

I'm not sure how to remove the lock cylinder. 

but I will definitely try using some kind of a pick or thin wire and a magnet and see if I can finagle it out.

it broke about halfway down on the key so I'm sure it will be a real challenge!

thank you for the suggestions  

I'm not sure how to remove the lock cylinder. 

Remove the plastic cover behind the steering wheel.  Then remove the 2 headless bolts.  Headless?  It's a security thing.  Not very tight. Slot the bolts and use a screwdriver to remove or use a left-handed drill bit to spin them out. 

You might be able to use the end of the broken key to start it i dont know if it would come out even if you pulled the cylinder you might have to go the screwdriver in the key hole method or buy a new cylinder and key sometimes the cylinders are open on the back sometimes there not my vw bus has never had keys since ive owned nither has my scout it i just never lock them and have a secondary ignition switch and no stearing lock in 15 years it hasent been a issue on ether rig

I suggest tiling the car on its side...... Jk but on a serious note when my old key broke off deep in the cylinder I lowered down the steering column, disconnected the shaft and put it on a bench flat with key facing down. A few light taps with a rubber mallet knocked it out. Sometimes this works others it wont. I'd rather spend 20 mins attempting to knock it out rather than paying a locksmith an hourly rate.

I actually had this happen on a 92 legacy. If you can makeshift a very small piece of wire with a slight hook at the end you may be able to get it down the side where the key cutout is and jimmy it up to get ahold of it. I cant recall exactly what I used to make my "keyhook" but I do remember it was a pain and took some patience to get it out.

i've noticed the GL/Loyale OEM keys are made out of softer metal that can just twist if you try to open a paint can with it, yes i know let me go slap myself for doing that to an old subaru key, but seems that Subaru knew about this and improved greatly on the legacy and impreza keys.

-if it was an aftermarket key, don't know on the quality of those...

Edited by Subasaurus

well I made a hook with a peace of 1mm steel wire... that didn't work at all so then I went ahead and removed the lock cylinder and still couldn't get the key out. so at this point I think my next move will be to go to the scrap yard and pull a lock cylinder off another loyale then pay a locksmith to make a key for it and then finally install it onto my car.

hopefully that will work.

• 3 weeks later...