Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Impreza Engine Swap from 2.5 to 2.2 HELP!

I recently bought a 2005 Impreza with the 2.5 and manual trans. The original motor broke the timing belt and ruined the heads and cracked the block. I bought another 2.5 out of a 2001 Outback with auto trans. The motor ran great in the 2001 before it was pulled. I had to put the intake from my 2005 2.5 on the 2001 2.5 plus the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. After putting the motor in my car and running it for a few hours it started making a pecking noise. I pulled that motor back out and already found a 2.2 with on 80,000 miles on it. The 2.2 ran great in the donor car before I pulled it. I pulled it out, changed the intake, and installed my clutch, pressure plate and flywheel and a new throw out bearing and the motor went straight into my car. After running it for about 30 min. it started pecking just like the first motor I bought. I pulled the motor back out and bought a new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. The clutch disc had a lot of play in the collar that slide onto the trans shaft. I then put the motor back in the car and it still makes a pecking noise. ANY INFORMATION AND ADVISE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! It doesn't make since that both motors wan fine in the donor cars until i installed them in my car. PLEASE HELP!

Slow down and diagnose before more guessing and mindlessly dooming and pulling engines.

1. Piston slap

2. Timing tensioners - they can fail and only make noise under load and not exhibit any symptoms when looking visually. I’ve seen some only make noise when accelerated/high rpm/under load.

3. Front diffs “tick” and “peck” when started without oil.

4. Valve train

5. Accessory, alternator bearings.

6. The lower engine cover easily bends and can make noises against the flywheel,TC, but that wouldn’t be the case here.

Do 2005s have the active valve stuff? 2006s have it, and EJ22s do not.

I swapped the manifolds. What do you mean by active valve stuff? I tried it with all accessory belts off. Alternator, power steering,and A.C.. It still pecks. Does the flywheel have to gone in a certain position? Mine that came off of the original 2.5 has holes drilled on one side like it had been balanced to go a certain way.

• Like 1

I swapped the manifolds. What do you mean by active valve stuff? I tried it with all accessory belts off. Alternator, power steering,and A.C.. It still pecks. Does the flywheel have to gone in a certain position? Mine that came off of the original 2.5 has holes drilled on one side like it had been balanced to go a certain way.

• Like 1