Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exhaust manifold- use 4 studs instead of 2

I'm working on making a "Y" pipe. It can be hard to get a good seal at the exhaust head. There are holes for 4 studs ( 2 extra ). Do you think it would help make a better seal if I used all 4. I know I will need to make a custum plate/ bracket or what ever you call it, ya know the thingy where it bolts on to. Just an idea.

Potential problem? - do you thinkthis joint needs to flex a little?

The reason it's hard to get a seal is because I have a tendency to hit my Y pipe on stuff.

Only times I've had problems getting headers to seal against heads was due to the exhuast not allowing sufficent clearance. The cat would hit something and not allow the exhuast system to come up close enough to the body so the headers could mate flush with the heads. Or the mid pipe to the muffler had too much angle and the muffler hit the body; again with teh same result. Another time the header on one side wasnt welded on perfectly and was at a slight angle not allowing the header to come up flat against the head.

In these senarios 4 exhuast studs wouldnt have helped. Make sure you allow the exhuast to come up close enough to the car when you make it. So your headers will come up flat against the heads. Avoid my mistakes and I think you will be fine with 2 studs :)