Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Ea81 wont turn over.

Sooo the belt attatched to the alternator .. Only belt on the thing .. Is turning and its making a whinning noise , but it won't turn over .. This is my first subaru . 83 gl wagon . just replaced the hg.even tho it was a feeze plug that popped .. Anyways , new accel pro stock ignition .. Batery is new . Idk wtf is wrong . I have the Haynes but it's all pretty confusing to be honest . it ran before I put it all back together . HELP!

Double check carb hoses for vacuum leaks. Rip off the air filter and yank the throttle cable while looking down the throat. Should see fuel getting pumped in there. If thats all good then proceed as follows:

What exactly did you replace ignition wise ?

If you pulled the distributor then I'm guessing its not lined up properly.

Next guess is plug wires in the wrong order on the dist cap.

Check for spark first with an old plug. If you got spark then your ignition wiring is hooked up correctly.

Next check plug wire orientation. No1 is closest to the intake manifold.. start there. Working anticlockwise firing order is 1-3-2-4. Still wont start?

Pull timing mark cover off bellhousing (its a rubber plug the size of a small jam jar lid). Pop off distributor cap. Rotate engine manually until you see the timing marks. Stop rotation when pointer points at tdc. Rotor button should be pointing at no.1 plug wire location on distributor (if the cap was fitted).

If its not then rotate engine manuay anothrt 360 degrees until the timing marks line up again. Rotor button should now be pointing at no.1 plug wire position. If its not lining up then dist is a couple teeth out.

If dist in wrong place then: pull no1 pot rocker cover off to watch rocker arms. Rotate engine to tdc on timing marks looking to see when both rocker arms for no1. Are not depressed. If one is down then rotate engine another 360 degrees to tdc on timing marks. Once you have acheived true tdc then look at rotor button. Should be pointed at the 1 oclock position if you're standing squarely in front of the car looking down on it. If its not then pull the dist out and replace it in the right spot. Car should fire up after everything bolted back up.

Get back to us on how you went or if you need more clarification. Can you post a link to the ignition you used pls?

Cheers.