Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New used car blues

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 xdeadeye1

xdeadeye1

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Marietta, OH

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

I called the previous owner,, he said he took it to a guy who put a machine on it and the codes pointed to a bad catalytic converter.

He said that it was the second one put on the car.  He bought one from rock auto 3 years ago.  it was a wagner with a lifetime warranty..  But he didn't want to fool with it.

So maybe it is running bad/rich and causing cat converters to go bad?   idk.

But to me this might be a good sign that its not the tranny.  He said he never had problems with tranny.

#27 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 12,860 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

Won't get a catalyst code right away. It's a two trip code, and takes a very certain set of criteria just to run the test cycle for the catalyst monitor. It has to run and fail on consecutive drives before the code will set. Generally the car has to be driven 15-20 minutes at a constant speed before the test will run, then the test takes several minutes to complete and any major change in throttle angle or vehicle speed will reset the test.

#28 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,700 posts
  • Texas

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:45 AM

I called the previous owner,, he said he took it to a guy who put a machine on it and the codes pointed to a bad catalytic converter.

He said that it was the second one put on the car.  He bought one from rock auto 3 years ago.  it was a wagner with a lifetime warranty..  But he didn't want to fool with it.

But to me this might be a good sign that its not the tranny.  He said he never had problems with tranny.

probably got P0420, it has the words 'catalytic converter' as part of its definition, but the CC is rarely the problem. It can be thrown with something as simple as an exhaust leak. many people have been sold new converters and the code comes back.

#29 sirtokesalot

sirtokesalot

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • north branford ct

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

he put an aftermarket cat on it. aftermarket cats suck your lucky it lasted 3 years it needs a replacement.

#30 xdeadeye1

xdeadeye1

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Marietta, OH

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

Some good news.

I got the part Fairtax gave me the link for and i removed the O2 sensor,,in the front. 

I took it for a drive ,   it was a bit loud, but the car ran pretty well and shifted!   So im happy.

The shop where i take it for exhaust work is about 10-15 miles away.      IM planning on buying another cat converter and having them install it.

Question:   Do you think it will be ok to drive it that far with that O2 sensor out of its spot.?   Would it cause a heat problem?     Currently the sensor is just hanging straight down, with the metal part of the sensor resting on the side of the cat converter.

#31 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 7,700 posts
  • Texas

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

the way it's been behaving, I doubt that will be any worse.

Just don't let stuff bounce/whip around. Wrap it with some tape or plastic and tape or ziptie it out of the way.

#32 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 12,860 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

Unless you know that sensor is new/recently replaced, just unplug it and toss it. Put a new O2 sensor on with the new cats.

Is the side of the transmission covered in grease? If there's anything that could catch on fire because of hot exhaust blowing on it then you really shouldn't drive it.

#33 xdeadeye1

xdeadeye1

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Marietta, OH

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for your feed back.   

Im still taking it out to the exhaust guy.

HOWEVER     Im wondering if i wouldnt be better off with just a piece of pipe to replace the cat.

I dont have an inspection i have to do.  So I dont HAVE to have the cat.

So,, I guess my question.  What is the draw back of deleting the cat converters..?   WOuld i have a CEL light on all the time due to the missing O2 sensors?

I dont want to have to replace another cat converter in 3 years.  

#34 golucky66

golucky66

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Barkhamsted Connecticut

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

You need O2 sensors to run the vehicle

And in 99 Subaru went to a front air fuel ratio sensor which is much more critical to being apart of the system

Also, the rear O2 actually has some minor corrections to fuel trims. So without a cat and not tuned for it, the fuel management will be a little off. Possibly resulting in poor(er) fuel economy and more emissions (not that you care at that point)

Edited by golucky66, 06 December 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#35 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,478 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

Also, the rear O2 actually has some minor corrections to fuel trims. So without a cat and not tuned for it, the fuel management will be a little off. Possibly resulting in poor(er) fuel economy and more emissions (not that you care at that point)

The rear sensor does not have an effect on the fuel trim.  Only the front one.

Rear sensor is for monitor of cat efficiency.

#36 golucky66

golucky66

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

The rear O2 does have a slight bearing on fuel trims. I've heard about it in multiple training classes and from messing with scan tool data.

If you have a capable scan tool. There's a data line along the lines of "Fuel correction #3" that's actually the rear O2 weighing in ever so slightly on the fuel trims.
I'm only talking 2-3% max here. But it does.

#37 golucky66

golucky66

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

I'm not saying that that's the rear O2s only job. Because it's primary job is to monitor the cat.

#38 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 7,700 posts
  • Texas

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

a 2000 model probably doesn't use post-cat data for a:f . I THINK that came in on Subarus around '06 or so ???

#39 xdeadeye1

xdeadeye1

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Marietta, OH

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

well i went and ordered an After market cat from ebay.  See how it does.  

#40 golucky66

golucky66

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

a 2000 model probably doesn't use post-cat data for a:f . I THINK that came in on Subarus around '06 or so ???

I know it has it on my 04 turbo Baja. But maybe you're right on a 2000.
Thanks for the insight. I'll have to look into that next time I work on a 2003 or older.

#41 xdeadeye1

xdeadeye1

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Marietta, OH

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

I know im a pain in the rump roast. Sorry.  A new O2 sensor upstream for an Automatic is 57 bucks on Rockauto..  and its denso.

wtf.  Ill get it if you really think i need one.

#42 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 7,700 posts
  • Texas

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

I know money is tight but, I have never kicked myself for mistakenly putting a new part on an OLD car while troubleshooting. Sure, ideally I'd train myself to learn how to scope the 02 and make sure the waveform is really slow or w'ever - but the extra time/tools/knowlede sometimes makes it faster/easier to put in a $60 part. The absolute WORSE thing that happens if I 'guess' wrong is, I got a new part instead of a 10-15 year old part, wasted a little time, some money - and eliminated one of the items on the list of possible problems!

not ideal but, you see how that works. Again, live data from a smart phone, and ELM327 BT adapter running an app like Torque can sometimes be helpful troubleshooting.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 06 December 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#43 Bushwick

Bushwick

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Ohio Akronish

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

Once the pipe is down, ask them to let you look in it. The cat substrate looks like the screen on house window, though the holes are several inches deep.  Most cats have two separate stacks like so:

EC731_FIG_1.jpg

If the front stack is damaged, it'll stay put until the back stack goes, hence you need to look at both sides of the cat (inlet/exit). I've seen the substrate melt on one half (looks like stretched taffy) and remain intact on other, and sometimes it'll break free, etc. 

Several things to be aware of:

1. Your engine oil is probably heavily contaminated. Should change it after the new cat.

2. If the guy you bought it from replaced the cat once before, that suggests something isn't right. A full tune-up (plugs, wires, filters, etc. and maybe look into the ignition coil as it might have a weak output) is a must and be sure to do the timing belt. Any codes that eventually appear, be SURE to investigate, as they might point to the neglected issue if a tune up doesn't solve it.

3. IF the cat(s) substrate broke out, it'll either end up in the muffler or possibly get lodged in the actual exhaust pipe somewhere. This can actually cause excessive back pressure and again, down on power.

4. Universal cats are OK. Just be sure to use the correct one meant for the engine.

5. TAKE YOUR OLD CAT WITH YOU!!! IF IT'S STILL IN ONE PIECE, A JUNK YARD WILL GIVE YOU CASH FOR IT. A METAL CORE YARD WILL GIVE YOU MORE.

Edited by Bushwick, 06 December 2017 - 05:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users