Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A quick framkenmotor question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dp213

dp213

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Stanwood, WA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

This should be a yes or no answer. Using a 99 2.5 dbl cam block, with 93 2.2 heads and the thickest head gaskets I can find. Will this work and have no clearance issues between piston and valves?

Thanks

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 21,473 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

It will work. It's not ideal. You will need the gasket for the 25D.

Much better to swap the pistons for 00-04 pistons and use the 25D heads with a thin gasket. 

GD

#3 dp213

dp213

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Stanwood, WA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

Thank you. I just happen to have those parts and I need a new motor for my 99 legacy gt. I'm being very cheep at this point.

#4 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Crazyeights

• Members
  • 1,462 posts
  • Pacific Northwest

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

@GD

So if I understand you correctly the best recipe is a complete EJ25D with 00 - 04 pistons?

#5 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,484 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

@GD

So if I understand you correctly the best recipe is a complete EJ25D with 00 - 04 pistons?

I had the same question - you’d prefer that combo over an EJ25 with EJ22 heads? For reliability or performance or cost? They push similar power numbers?

I’m guessing the EJ22 heads don’t have any better head gasket longevity since the bore is still large?

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 21,473 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

Correct. The dual cam heads are much better in all aspects. With the 00 to 04 pistons the compression ratio is very favorable, and allows the thinner gasket that will not blow out like the thick D gasket did. I haven't done a single cam frankenmotor with a thick head gasket in many years. We just correct the problems with the D and all my customers are quite happy. 

Problem with the D gasket was it's thickness. Subaru solved the problem with a single layer shim ultra thin gasket starting in 2000. We use the 770 gasket used in 08+ turbo models. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 17 November 2017 - 01:54 AM.

#7 dp213

dp213

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Stanwood, WA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:14 AM

Since I have the parts here and they're free, should I get a set of cometic head gaskets for what I'm doing? Or are there better ones (lesser of both evils?)

Thanks

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 21,473 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

Just use the 25D gasket from Subaru. The Cometic isn't  sny better. They are both too thick. The head gasket lifespan is limited on that build. I wouldn't bank on anything over 50k. 

GD

#9 dp213

dp213

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Stanwood, WA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

I would be way happy with 2 years let alone with 5

#10 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 21,473 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Then you should be fine. That build produces excellent low end torque but the heads stop flowing after about 4800 RPM and the power drops off precipitously.

You do know that the intake manifold from the 99 will not bolt to the 2.2 heads right? You will need a manifold from a 95 to 98 2.2 Automatic

If you have the 99 heads just clean them up and get some used 251 pistons. Much better build and the power will be much broader all the way to 6500. 

GD

#11 dp213

dp213

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Stanwood, WA

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:29 AM

I have the 95 intake already.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users